☕️34☕️

The day finally came. The day that would change our lives forever.

The letters of acceptance. Either today or the next couple of days.

Me and Rory were waiting anxiously, waiting for the mail to arrive. "Girls! Go time!" Mom yelled.

Me and Rory sprinted out the door to find Kirk taking his sweet time with putting the mail in.

"Are there any big envelopes?" Rory asked him eagerly.

"Aren't you supposed to sort the mail before you come here?" I asked him impatiently. "Our future's in that bag."

"Wanna get breakfast then come back?" I asked Rory. "Please," she muttered and we walked away. "He'll still be there I bet," I giggled.

***

"Nothing yet?" Lane asked us. "The suspense is killing me," Tessa complained. "This is worse than waiting for the California thing," I grumbled.

"Something's wrong," Rory scrunched up her nose. "The menus! They're different!"

"What?" I looked at it, hard plastic.

"There's more salads," Lane pointed out. Tessa coughed the word "Nicole!" and Luke glared at her.

"There's no Monte Cristo!" Tessa complained. "Blasphemy!"

"The four of you never ordered it!" Luke exclaimed. "But the option was there," I defended the sandwich.

Luke handed us the old menus and Tessa pouted. "How come everyone else has new menus?"

Luke started swearing under his breath. "May I point out, you're trying to battle four teenage girls, you're gonna lose," I went over the line as Luke stormed away.

***

"I must say," our teacher said to us in History. "I'm glad to see that simply because the SATs are over, most of you are still taking your classwork seriously. I'd also like to remind you all that the Bicentennial is next week. The sign up sheet for the speech contest is in the back of the room. It will be held on Friday and the winner will present their speech at the ceremony. The event will be live on C-Span."

The bell rang and Andrea looked at me. "You doing it?" Andrea asked me. "I have Charlie Sheen, I'm good," I muttered.

Me and Rory also stopped by the inn after school. "Paris is driving me completely insane!"

"She's still not over it?!" I was gobsmacked.

"I'm entering the contest are you?" Rory asked me. "No, I have a reference from Charlie Sheen himself," I reminded her.

Once we went inside, Mom and Sookie were jumping up and down and squealing. "What's going on?" Rory asked them.

"I'm pregnant!" Sookie cheered. "Oh my God!" I broke into a big grin and hugged her.

"Congratulations!" Rory smiled. "Now I need you girls to do something," Sookie told us. "I can't decide on who's gonna be godmother between you two. Do Rock Paper Scissors."

I looked at Rory and held out my hand, ready. She threw paper, I threw rock.

***

"Three of them had strokes?" I asked Grandpa, raising my eyebrow. "What do they drink?"

"A lot of whiskey," Grandpa told me. "And being part of the DAR."

Mom came into the room and looked a little spooked. "So Rory's gonna be on C-Span soon," I smirked. "If I win, but it'll be hard with Paris breathing down my neck," Rory grumbled.