☕️104☕️

Lorelai POV

My phone was going off like crazy at about four in the morning. I sat up groggily and grabbed the phone from my bedside table to answer the phone.

"Mom, come to New York!"

"Rory? What's going on?"

"Logan! And Hezzy, they're both badly hurt!"

"What?!" I was suddenly wide awake. "Are they okay?!"

"Heather was just brought out of the ICU, with head trauma, she hit her head pretty badly but Logan is still in the ICU! They're both unconscious! They're at Columbia Presbyterian."

"I'll be there," I shot out of the bed and I called Heather's apartment phone to get Andrea to call Jess.

"Hey Lorelai, Heather's not here," Andrea told me. "I know, she's in hospital, in bad condition, you have to call Jess and tell him."

"I'm on it, is she okay?!" Andrea panicked. "Rory told me she's out of the ICU, but still unconscious," I mumbled and I ran outside to the car to drive to New York.

***

Heather POV

All I could hear was beeping when my eyes opened. "What the.." I mumbled.

I looked around to see myself in hospital. "Where am I? Nurse!"

A doctor came into my room. "Miss Gilmore, you're awake," he stated the obvious. "Obviously," I grumbled. "What happened?"

"When you and Mr Huntzberger jumped, you landed in the river, it would've been fine, if it wasn't shallow and rocky," the doctor told me.

"Is Logan okay?" I asked him. "He landed in a dry rocky place so he's in worse condition than you are," he was scribbling something on the clipboard. "You got a nasty whack on the head, you were airlifted to New York."

"So, head trauma," I dialled it down. "You had this beanie on," the doctor showed me my now bloody beanie. "This beanie saved your life as it..cushioned the blow a little."

"But if I didn't..."

"Oh you'd be dead as a doornail," the doctor told me. "Cheers," I mumbled. "How many stitches?"

"Nine," he explained. "Little bruising on the torso but we want to keep you in for a few more days for observation."

He left and I was a little surprised I didn't break anything. I heard a knock on my door and Rory popped her head around. She hugged me tightly and I hugged her back.

"Thank God you're okay," she sniffled. "The jump..what happened?"

"I didn't see what happened to Logan but I landed in the rocky and more shallow part of the river," I told her. "My Hello Kitty beanie saved me."

"The beanie saved you?" Rory asked me. "My doctor literally told me if I wasn't wearing it..I'd be in the morgue," I mumbled.

"But apart from head trauma..."

"I'm gonna be okay, I just can't wait for everyone say 'I told you so,'" I muttered. "Jess tried to talk me out of it..but I didn't listen."

"He's not gonna say that," Rory told me. "At least you didn't break anything."

"I nearly broke my brain but thank God Hello Kitty saved me," I smiled. "But my days of stupid Life and Death Brigade stunts are over, that's the closest to death I want to be."

I saw Mom in the doorway. "Oh hon," she nearly burst into tears and hugged me. "Your beanie," she sighed, picking up my previously white..now red, beanie.

"You need anything?" Rory asked me. "Tell Beavis and Butthead, I'm out," I grumbled.

"At least you landed in the water so no other damage," Mom mumbled. "Just that big thing."

"They said it'd leave an almost invisible scar," I explained. "Almost?" Mom asked me. "Did your parachute work?"

"It got suddenly very windy," I mumbled.

"Well it's the best hospital in New York, even the world," Mom told me. "I brought magazines, your favourite snacks and your Sidekick, some of your books too."

"Thank you Mom," I smiled. "Did Jess hear about it?"

"He's on his way, traffic is bonkers," she explained.

***

I picked up my book while sitting up in my hospital bed and I heard a knock on my door.

"Yep?"

The door opened and Jess appeared in the doorway with flowers. "I know you're not a flower girl but these two guys wouldn't let me pass without them, both of us think the cliched romantic gestures are stupid."

"Indeed," I agreed. "But gesture appreciated, was one of the guys Australian?"

"Yeah," Jess admitted. "That's Finn," I explained.

He put the flowers in a vase and sat down in a chair. "What happened?"

"The wind-braker broke, in mid air," I told him. "I landed in the water, hit my head off a rock..but my beanie, my Hello Kitty one, cushioned the blow..saved my life, if I wasn't wearing it..I would've died."

I sighed. "I should've listened to you, you tried to talk me out of it but I was just so damn stubborn."

Jess brushed my hair out of my face to see my nine stitches. He leaned in and kissed my forehead. "You're okay, that's all that matters to me,

"Will you stay?" I asked him.

"Of course I will," he told me. He kissed me on the lips before sitting back in the chair, soon falling asleep.

He was at peace and very quiet, not much of a snorer anymore. I smiled to myself and let myself drift off too.