☕️126☕️

"I wonder what my mom and Rory are gonna think about my new job," I wondered. "They're gonna be proud," Jess told me. "Friday night, might not get a word in," I mumbled.

"Don't be so pessimistic," Jess said. "This is an amazing job offer, think about all the celebrities you're gonna meet."

"Meaning we officially cannot go out on dates on Saturday nights," I pointed out.

"Well, we'll work our way around it," he reassured me. "Now go on, shoo."

"Ooh, yes sir," I rolled my eyes. I scratched Roxy behind her ears before getting into my car and driving away.

***

"Not only did he give me a clean bill of health, but Swinton thinks I'm in better shape than I was before the heart attack," Grandpa told us.

"You look great Grandpa," Rory smiled. "Anyway, I heard that there's news from Heather," Grandma looked at me. "I got a new job," I told them.

"What is it?" Mom asked me. "I'm on the writing staff for Saturday Night Live, the executive producer called me with the offer."

"Oh that's amazing!" Mom hugged me tightly. "And the big day is next week too!"

"How much would you be earning?" Grandma asked me. "Yearly about seventy thousand," I told her. "I'm really looking forward to it."

"Finals start soon," Rory pointed out. "Are you ready?"

"I am," I told her. "We have a surprise for Rory," Grandpa announced. "An apartment in the Upper East Side, for you to work on the New York Times."

"I didn't get accepted," Rory mumbled. "What?" I looked at her. "Oh Rory, I'm so sorry and here's me going on about SNL."

"No, that cheered me up," Rory reassured me. I gave her a small hug. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, but SNL is amazing," Rory told me. "I'm proud of you Hezzy."

***

I had moved all of my stuff to mine and Jess' new place and I set up my chair in my office, where I would be working on the sketches.

I could work from home a lot and I'd only be going to Rockefeller once a week.

I got a huge congrats voicemail from Tessa and Lane. I heard Roxy whine from behind me. "Okay, let's go for a walk."

I took Roxy out for a walk around the block. Brooklyn was quieter than Manhattan and I really liked it here. Most of my stuff from my old room was in my office, except for the bed.

I came back home and let Roxy off her leash.

I checked the messages to see one from Mom. "Hey hon, we need family time so do you wanna come back to Stars Hollow? Call me if you're on your way."

***

I drove back to Stars Hollow and walked into KC's for karaoke night and sat with Mom and Rory.

I arrived on time to see the last of Babette and Miss Patty's numbers.

"You should sing," I suggested to Mom. "I'd have to be drunker than this, I will if you will," Mom got me to agree.

Tessa joined us as she came home from Brown to be with her mom for a bit and looked at me. "Lady Marmalade?"

"Yes," I agreed. "Because I signed us up after Kirk," she told me.

"You bitch," I gasped.

"Next up is Sinclair and Gilmore," Kirk slurred. I wasn't even that drunk.

The two of us got up and the music started. "Backstreet Boys?" I asked her. "You lied."

"I know," she laughed.

"Everybody," we sang. "Rock your body. Everybody, rock your body right. Backstreet's back alright!"

I was mortified but I just went along with it.

***

"Never again," I muttered as I was sitting down. "I am never trusting you again."

"Totally worth it," Tessa laughed and walked off.

Mom got up. "This I'm dedicating to my two girls, happy graduation!"

Rory wrapped her arm around me and pulled me close and Mom started singing Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You.'

But her eyes drifted another way and I followed her eye line and I saw Luke.

I gave him a small smile and me and Rory clapped and started cheering once Mom was finished.

Mom was pretty hungover the next morning so me and Rory sorted her out with a greasy breakfast.

I unlocked the door to find just Roxy and no Jess. "Jess?" I called out.

He must be at work or something. No note or anything. "Did Jess go out Roxy? One bark for yes, two for no."

Roxy barked once.

"Did he go to work?"

Roxy barked twice.

I know it's ridiculous asking Roxy but what if Roxy could be onto something?