Soulmates and Enemies

Based on this prompt^
Hope you'll enjoy!😊

Desperate for air, Mare scrambled to open the window. The chilly air helped a bit, but the constant buzzing of Archeon around her clouded the short lived relief.

She scratched her wrist, a habit she really needed to get rid of, for the sake of the pain from getting the scratches covered with the heavy make up. Maven's name on her wrist didn't fade, reminding her of her soulmate.

Or enemy. But Mare didn't want to believe that. Maven was on her side. Right? Unlike Cal, who refused to fight for the reds, in favour of his legacy. His stupid, silver, duty.

Mare tried to not think about the Calores, but given both the brothers' names were tatooed on her wrists, it was fairly impossible.

At that moment, she hoped to be one of the people who only had one name tatooed. It was said some people had words, sentences their soulmate will say to them. But she couldn't see others' marks. Only your own are visible.

But for the reds, the soulmate tattoos didn't have much influence. Your soulmate can be anyone, anywhere, and you wouldn't be able to reach them.  People still fell in love, were happy, and had kids despite the words written on them. Mare heard of a few couples who claimed to be soulmates, but there was no way to prove it, and Mare opted to not fool herself.

Besides, not everyone has marks. It was common. As her heart was torn between the two princes, Mare envied those whose future was open.

Many people took advantage of people without marks. Desperate boys and girls fooled and lied to each other, trying to experience love before being sent to the front. Mare witnessed the fights between happy couples when they learned the other had lied about being soulmates. It was so idiotic in her eyes. Does having a mark really matters that much? Of course, in Mare's current situation, it definitely did.

The only person who knew Mare had two marks was Shade. She knew he only had one, and that it was a girl. They promised to tell each other when they'll meet the ones.

Mare wondered if there could be soulmates who weren't romantically interested in each other. It had to happen, after all. Imagine being super-best friends with someone. Must be better than this.

Tomorrow, when Cal will make his decision, Mare will finally learn who is her true love, and which is her mortal enemy.

If there is another ship you want me to write about, you're welcome to tell me!

As always, prompts and requests are open!☺️

Unrelated, does anyone have any good songs to recommend? My playlist has about 600 songs and I'm bored with them all🙃