Hogwarts AU

I'm back from the dead for now, and I have nothing to say for myself.
Hope you'll enjoy!

Cal's pov:

"So, are you going to ask that Slytherin girl out or what?" Oliver asks me.

"Keep your voice down." I glance at professor Sprout, helping a couple of students with their plant.

They manage to get their demonly, murderous plant under control. Mine, on the other hand, is determined to bite off my fingers. Cursing, I wonder why I've decided to keep taking Herbology.

My father wouldn't particularly care for most of the subjects, yet he and Elara kept droning about the opportunities of doing many subjects will open. I decided to take it, if only for them to shut it. I sometimes wonder if Elara convinced my father it's for the best just to make me suffer.

"It's complicated," I muttered to Oliver, who made no effort to try and help me with that horrendous plant.

Taking advantage of my distracted state, it tried to bite me again. Oliver and Farley snorted as I cursed loudly, enough so professor Sprout turned to me. I hid my face behind the leaves, hoping I wouldn't lose points for Gryffindor.

As she turned around, more interested in a student being bitten by the horrible thing, I glared at Farley. She and Shade didn't even manage to take care of that plant without help.

Oliver nudged my shoulder, bringing me back to the subject.

I don't get to explain my feelings as the bell rings, and Oliver sprints out of the door, trying to catch himself a seat at the back of the class.

***

I couldn't find neither Oliver, Ptolemus or Shade by the time I finally finished the Transfiguration homework. 

I leave the stuffy tie and robes on my bed, and stroll through the fields by the lake, set ablaze by the sunset light.

A silver of students are also outside. Mostly sitting in groups, eating smuggled food from dinner and laughing.

I'm too caught up in my own thoughts, that I nearly step on a third-year girl.

"Hey!" She calls out.

No, not a third-year student. Mare Barrow.

Out of everyone I could step on, it had to be her.

I clear my throat. "Sorry," I grimace. "I didn't mean to step on you."

She lifts a brow. "I certainly hope you didn't intend to."

My face burns. And judging by the smile Mare gives me before returning to her book, it obviously shows.

"I'm Cal, by the way."

She doesn't take my hand. "Mare Barrow."

I study Mare as she flips the page, bluntly ignoring me still standing there. She has a simple sort of beauty, but still captivating. Brown, tan skin, wavy chocolate hair and beautiful lips I really need to stop staring at.

She glances back up, almost surprised to see me still standing there. I force my gaze to focus on her eyes.

Don't embarrass yourself don't embarrass yourself don't embarrass yourself.....

"Thief."

Really smooth Calore. Tell her she shouldn't take books from the library outside. Is that even a real rule?

"Obviously," Mare blinked up at me.

***

"You know what I keep wondering?" Mare said as I twirled her around the moonlit floor.

"What?"

"How are there windows here? Isn't the requirement room built in the castle?"

I shake my head, laughing. "I can build a cycle, doesn't mean I know much about magical interior design."

Her hand slid to my shoulder, flicking it. "I don't think you know much at all," Mare joked.

I dip her towards the floor. The silvery light catches in her gray ends, making it glow.

I pull her back up, only to have her step on my foot.

"I think you don't really know how to dance," I smile down at her.

Rolling her eyes, Mare presses closer to me. Breathe, idiot.

"And who's fault is that? The last I recall, you were my teacher." She says.

I laugh with her. "One step at a time," I say, intervening our fingers. "That's what best for you".

She nods, uncharacteristically quiet. "Are you nervous about the ball?" I ask.

"More than you know."

The music stops, yet we continue to spin around for an unknown amount of time.

"So, you're going home for Christmas?" Mare asks, more to break the silence than to know the answer.

"Yes. There's a group of sixth-year boys going out on a hiking trip. All our fathers organized it." I sigh, splaying my hand on her back. Her lips twitch, but she doesn't pull back.

"You wouldn't be missing Evangeline?"

I stop myself from snorting. Evangeline isn't that bad, but neither of us can pretend we actually have feelings towards each other.

Our parents practically ordered us to go to the ball together. And since they are at the school's council, they'll know if we come together or not.

I couldn't tell them about Mare, not through a letter, so I got stuck with Evangeline, and Mare is going with Mavey. I try to pretend it didn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure I failed at that.

"She'll be alright, I think. She's not exactly attached to me. I won't miss her either." Mare looks down at that, avoiding my eyes.

I take her chin in my hand, imploring her to look at me.

"I'll miss you, Mare."

She steps away, shaking her head.

"I can't," Mare says.

But I can't keep looking at her and constantly hold myself back.

I take her hand, pulling her to me. Her lips are incredibly soft as I cover them with my own.

It feels as if my heart's on fire.

Wow, I've actually managed to write something today!🤯

To everyone who has given me requests, thank you so much. If you want to comment them here again so I won't accidentally neglect them you're welcome to do so💕

Side note: I don't know how many of you are aware of jkr's latest posts, so I just wanted to say that this account supports the Transgender community, BLM and LGBTQIA+ people! If you ever need someone know that I'm right here 🤗