27

Amari

I watched Justin move swiftly around the kitchen as he prepared dinner. I was finally gonna have him around all the time, but I didn't know if I was excited about that.

Ever since I met him, the National Guard was his thing. It was the only thing he was sure about.

If he was only giving it up because he felt like he had to, I didn't want him to.

I would be fine.

The baby would be fine.

If he wanted to continue his career with the National Guard, he could. I would support him. I wouldn't mind.

But how would I explain that to him?

My ringing phone pulled me from my thoughts and I grabbed it and glanced at the caller ID.

Lisa

"Yes?" I sighed answering the phone.

"Ms.Rose, Mr.Ares is requesting your attendance at his business banquet Tonight." Lisa rushed to say. "He sent the invitation two weeks ago, but it went to the spam folder and I just saw it as I was clearing everything out like you requested."

"Are you serious?" I groaned rubbing a hand across my face. "Justin and I are about to sit down and have dinner. Why is this so last minute?"

"But we have to go. The place will be crawling with potential clients, Ms.Rose." Lisa said softly.

"Don't you think I know that?" I scoffed. "Fine. Send me the address."

I hung up on her and looked over at Justin who was already watching me as he made a salad.

"Want to go to a business banquet Tonight?" I smiled at him.

"A business banquet?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Eh." I shrugged. "It's basically a school dance, only with fancy rich adults who want to trick each other into overpaying for underachieving work and or stocks."

"Sounds like a blast, but I think I'll have to take a pass on that." Justin laughed. "You go ahead. I'll keep the food hot until you get back."

"Okay." I said standing up and sliding my house shoes back on. "I won't be there for any long than a hour."

Justin walked over to me and leaned down to peck my lips.

"I'm setting a timer and holding you to it." He laughed.

"Go ahead. I'll beat it." I laughed running upstairs.

I hopped in the shower before going to the closet to look for something to wear.

When I found it, I got dressed and did my hair in a high ponytail.