38 (Unofficial)

Tyler

I glanced into my rear view mirror at Kyler who was fast asleep in the backseat with Cheeto dust around his mouth and all over his shirt. Then I looked over at Amari who was asleep in the passenger seat with a bag of white popcorn in her lap.

Finally! They had been singing songs they hardly knew the lyrics to nonstop. They had been making up stories together and every time I looked up, someone was hungry or needed a bathroom.

Now, it was peaceful. Now, I could drive without feeling the same way my Dad had probably felt when he took the family on a trip to the Grand Cannon that one summer. That was the trip that helped him determine we were never going on another road trip. No matter how big the RV was or how close the destination might have been.

That Night

Amari

I walked into the dark house and flicked the porch light on before kicking off my slides. I grabbed onto Kyler's hand and started to walk upstairs to a guest bedroom.

Tyler and I had agreed that Kyler would be staying with me until Danielle was out of Tyler's house. Then, he would travel between the two until we got an agreement in place.

"Do you have enough energy for a bath?" I asked with a laugh as he laid face down on the bed.

"No..." His voice came out muffled.

"Are you sure? I can smell your feet all the way from over here." I pretended to squeeze my nose shut.

Kyler looked up at me with a big smile before pulling his shoes off and waving his feet in the air.

"I don't smell anything." He said taking in a deep breath.

"You don't?" I asked walking over to him. "Smell them closer."

I pushed his feet to his face and the room erupted with giggles and playful screams. After a while of playing around, I turned on a movie for him and left the room door cracked as Kyler began to doze off.

"Justin?" I called walking back downstairs.

Justin

I listened to the sound of her footsteps as she came back downstairs. I hadn't said anything when she first came into the house because it sounded like someone else had been with her, but I guess not.

"Justin." Amari said quietly as she came into the living room. "Hey."

"Amari, we need to talk." I said.

"What about?" She asked sitting beside me.

She glanced over at the Tv and, as if she didn't see what I had saw, she shrugged.

"If it's about that, I can explain." She said.

"I know you can." I nodded. "Jessica said that I shouldn't jump to conclusions when it comes to things like this, but... That doesn't look good."

"That's not recent." She said pointing at the Tv. "That was almost 5 years ago."

"You were pregnant 5 years ago?" I asked blankly. "Do I look dumb?"