40

Justin

"Jessica, I really just don't get it." I sighed staring at the ceiling.

I had talked to my Mom over the phone about everything happening between Amari and I and she insisted I made a private appointment with Jessica. I didn't think it was a terrible idea.

"Why won't she just forget about him?" I asked. "After everything she said he's put her through, I just don't understand. I treat her so much better. I give her heaven on earth and it's like... Hell is where she wants to be."

"Justin, sometimes it's hard for a person to let go of a relationship no matter how terrible it had been." Jessica started. "Emotion helps a person connect to something on a personal level. It's like... Crying to your favorite song. After you do that, whenever you hear the song, all you can think about is the thing that made you cry. That song isn't your favorite anymore, is it? Amari experienced so many emotions and hardships with Tyler, it's hard to imagine going through them without him."

"I don't get that." I shook my head. "I've been through a lot with my ex, yet I don't care to see her again. I don't feel connected to her. I wouldn't bring her back into my life especially if I was involved with someone else and knew that we had unresolved feelings for one another."

"Because you healed." She said writing in her journal.

"Amari said she did too." I said trying to get a look at what she was writing.

"Justin, can I ask you a serious question? I don't want you to think I'm intruding or give me a simple response. I want you to actually think about your response before speaking." She said giving me her full undivided attention.

"I guess." I sighed.

"Why did you leave your home?" She stopped me before I could speak. "Think about it. Did you leave because you two needed space or did you leave because, subconsciously, that's not where you want to be? I'll give you a second."

I squinted my eyes thinking it over.

I left because I didn't want Amari to. I left because it was late at night and I knew that Amari didn't want to be in the same house as me at that moment. I left to make sure Amari was okay.

"Now, before you answer my first question, think about this." Jessica started. "Why did you go back to the first home you shared with Amari? Are you searching to relive those times when everything was okay? Before you knew about Tyler?"

Tyler

"Slow down." I laughed grabbing the water bottle off of the porch. "Come drink!"

Kyler ran over to me breathing heavy from playing football and drank some water.

"You've got a good arm on you." I said sitting down. "We should get you on a team or something."

"No. I prefer Baseball." He said sitting down next to me.

"I get that, but don't rule it out just yet." I said. "You can try it later in life."

"I guess." He shrugged. "Hey, where's my Mom?"

"You'll be able to see her later Today. Probably." I said grabbing my phone and checking the time.