28

Justin

I glanced at my phone for what felt like the hundredth time tonight.

Amari was late. Two hours late.

I mean, she didn't have a curfew or anything, but she said an hour was all she needed.

Knock Knock

I paused the show I had been watching on Hulu and got off of the couch to go answer the door.

"You know, I could've been asleep by now..." I said pulling the door open.

I stopped mid sentence as I stared at someone who wasn't Amari.

Someone who wasn't welcomed here.

Danielle.

"Hi." She said softly.

"Now isn't exactly a good time." I said fighting the urge to slam the door in her face.

"I know it's late, but do you know where Amari is?" Danielle asked quickly.

"Why does it matter if I do or don't?" I asked.

"Well, I just wanted to know if Tyler was with her. He hasn't come home yet and I'm a bit worried." Danielle said. "He isn't answering his phone or anything."

"Well, he isn't with Amari." I said.

"How do you know?" She asked. "Is Amari here?"

"Why does it matter?" I asked again.

"I'm sorry if you feel as though I'm intruding, but I'm just worried." She sighed looking around. "I know that they used to see a lot of each other and I'm not so sure all of those feelings went away. Maybe it's just the jealousy speaking, but I don't think it is..."

She studied my face looking for a reaction.

"Is that all?" I asked glancing at my wristwatch.

"Yeah." She nodded. "I guess Amari must be inside asleep or something. Could you tell her I stopped by?"

I shrugged and she nodded walking back to her car. I closed and locked the front door before going over to my phone to text Amari.

Mrs.Alders🤪:
You aren't answering your phone. Are you alright?
Call me when you can.
I'm serious.
Don't do anything crazy without me! I love you.

Amari

My phone buzzed in my bag as I listened to Mr.Ares go on and on about the trip he had taken with his family last week

Tyler sat beside me sneakily staring at his phone.

There were three other people at the table as well, but the only one who seemed actually interested was Jenny who would occasionally ask questions.

"You're gonna keep sending Danielle to voicemail?" I whispered.

"Huh?" He looked over at me then back to his phone. "Yeah. I'm just not in the mood for her."