xxvi. Moving on

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Freya looked up from her coffee before swallowing as she met Hugo's gaze. The latter raised his eyebrows expectantly.

Freya took the sip she was about to take before lowering her take-out cup from her lips. She wrinkled her lips before giving a dejected look at Hugo."Not really."

"You want to talk about it ?"

"Not really." Freya replied simply as she walked looking straight ahead.

Hugo looked worriedly at the brunette by his side before taking a sip of his coffee.

A new silence fell between them.

Freya was quick to take a break, however, as she saw her high school a little further. She forced a smile on her lips before giving a grateful look to the tall brown."I think this is my stop. Thanks for the coffee."

"You know you can tell me everything, right?"

Freya looked up as she absently played with the plastic cover of her cardboard cup before licking her lips in uncertainty. She took a weary breath."I know. But I'm not sure I want to get you involved in my life right now. It's chaotic enough to be honest."

"I see." Hugo accepted, nodding before signing on his own neck to support his point."How's it going with your boyfriend? Are you talking to him?"

Freya immediately brought her fingers to the pendant he had just signed in memory before feeling the tears about to assault her again. She absently played with the piece before letting her thumb retrace the engraved V.

With all that, she had completely forgotten the necklace. It had become a part of herself.

She left a trembling breath before forcing an indifferent smile on her lips."Not really, no. We kind of broke up."

"Really? What has happened ?"

"It was impossible between us. Too many... differences." Freya replied bitterly."I should have been wiser."

Hugo left a sad smile on the brunette, clearly far from being cured of her breakup, before giving her a look of sympathy." I am sorry. But you know it's impossible to love and be wise."

Freya leaves a breath of laughter anyway before nodding."You are probably right."

"I'm always right." Hugo immediately replied with confidence leaving Freya to crack a small smile."Here, she smiles."

She rolled her eyes before advancing towards the brown to take him in her arms in gratitude.

Hugo immediately accepted her embrace as he hugged the brunette against him. He took the opportunity to take in her particular luxury fragrance mixed with her natural strawberry smell before slowly coming off. He kept his hands on her shoulders before sustaining her gaze as Freya looked up.