Chapter 28

🔥Natsu's POV🔥

Huh? Did she just say 'mom'? But when she was explaining everything to me before, she said her mom had committed suicide after she had a miscarriage...

I look in the direction of the open office door and see a lady with beautiful golden hair, like Lucy's, looking over at our group. I also saw Lucy's dad sitting behind the lady, his face in his hand. I'm not quite sure if this is true, but his body looked sort of like it was trembling...almost as if he was crying?

After another moment of trying to figure out what was happening, to no avail, I glance back over at Lucy. Her legs were slightly shaking, and she had tears streaming down her cheeks. Levy was worriedly staring at her friend. "Lu, what's wrong."

"...it's my mom." Lucy muttered out, her voice trembling.

All of her friends looked just as confused as I did, I'm sure they all know that her mom is dead as well... Gray, Gajeel, and blue-haired guy, on the other hand, looked even more lost than the rest of us. "Lucy..." Erza begins, before stopping as she looked through the office door.

"Lu... your mom can't be here, you know that she's-" Levy started speaking in a quiet, gentle voice until she also looked over to the room, her eyes widening as they landed on the women in the office. "dead?"

Following the movements of her other friends, Juvia also glanced over to the open doors, she too was shocked by the sight she saw. "Wait... that is Lucy's mom. But...how is she here? I know that she definitely died, I remember how upset Lucy was when she found out..."

So that woman really is Lucy's mom? I was going to ask how that's possible, but based on all the girl's reactions, I guess they don't know why either.

For a brief moment everyone was quiet before Lucy slowly and quietly muttered out that she was going to go talk to her mom, if it was even actually her mom. "Do you want us to go with you?" Erza ask as Lucy started walking over, her body swaying slightly as she continued to shudder with sobs.

"No, it's fine. I just want to know what this is, because if it's a joke it's an immensely cruel one."

"Alright... we'll be waiting right here if you need us, we're always here for you."

Lucy softly smiles at her friends before walking into the room, gently closing the door behind her.

We all stared at the door for a while. I was worried about Lucy, after all, her dad was also in the room she just went in. To be honest, I really wanted, and still do want, to go in the room to make sure she's okay...but I know Lucy is a lot stronger than she looks so I'm sure she'll be fine.

"So, uh...I probably shouldn't ask, but what exactly is going on here?" Gray asks, cutting through the air thick with silence and worry from those of us who know the situation.

"Juvia probably shouldn't say everything, but the main thing you probably should know is that Lucy's mom died a few years ago... But the woman standing in there, looks just like her mom. Juvia doesn't know how it's possible for her mom to be here, but it is true that her moms' body was never actually found, only a note. Juvia probably shouldn't say anything else."

Gray shifted his gaze from Juvia over to the closed office door before letting out a quiet, "oh," as he realized the perplexing situation.

———

For a while, we all just stood in the hallway, not quite sure of what we should do. However, I have the inability to stay still for long periods of time, so I started pacing back in forth through the hall in front of the door. After a few minutes, Happy started mimicking my steps and paced the hall with me.