Chapter 9

"I quit", she told him firmly. When he didn't reply, Mehek continued, "I will be serving two weeks' notice and will return the advance money by end of it". She still had no clue how she will manage to gather so much money but staying under Shaurya was non- negotiable. "Ofcourse, Ms Maan", he accepted her resignation without hesitation. Mehek was taken aback but her instincts warned her that there is more to it. But she didn't dare to stay and probe. She quickly murmured a thank you before turning towards the door.

"You know Ms Maan, our law grants custody of children to Mother", he told generally. She was puzzled and looked at him expecting an explanation. "It was an empty threat when I told last night that Baba may take Drishti away from you", he explained, "but not anymore". Mehek wondered about his next trick. "Usually mother will get custody of child unless", he paused wickedly, "Unless she is found unfit. Like being a criminal or mentally unstable or an addict".

Mehek moved backwards when he came close to her holding his phone. "Like this lady, who ventures out at night to buy drugs from undesirable social elements. Do you think any judge will grant her custody?", he asked her. Mehek was baffled but he caught her attention, when he played a video clipping on his mobile. 

Mehek gulped hard when she understood that her movements from last night were captured by Shaurya. Two birds with one stone, he mused. In reflex, she kept her hand to her mouth to suppress a sob. "Now, let's forget that you tried to quit your job or I will be forced to inform Baba about his granddaughter", he flashed his teeth in a wicked grin. She was not left with an option other than to obey him.

Mehek carried Diya around the house. She found that it was unreasonable for her to spend days locked in her nursery. Even among all chaos, she never showed any mishap in taking care of Diya. All her worries vanished while taking care of Diya. 

Mehek took her to Swat's portrait and told her it is her Mamma. Diya cooed and pushed herself closer to Mehek, making her giggle and say, "Aaaaww". "Why are you here?", Shaurya's brooding voice shocked them. He was already dressed up for office and evidently displeased with her presence with Diya. "It's good for infants spend some time outside their room. They should see, hear and feel their surroundings", she explained to him.

He nodded as if understanding her and didn't argue. "Would you like to hold her?", Mehek offered and he was a bit surprised. Yet he agreed reluctantly. Mehek was still weary near Shaurya but it felt odd that he rarely spend any time with Diya. She didn't want Diya to be deprived of love from her father. 

Diya was a bit uncomfortable in Shaurya's hands but soon settled. "I think she is getting hungry. Can you give me her bottle?", he asked and Mehek handed over Diya's milk bottle. Shaurya was always good with kids so it wasn't a surprise for Mehek when he managed to feed Diya. For brief period, Mehek saw shades of old Shaurya.

"Mehek, can you bring my breakfast to my study? I will be there with Diya", he asked her. Mehek was happy to help him so that he could spend time with Diya. She brought a breakfast trolley to his study and served him a plate. "My hands are full. Can you feed me?", he asked her. Mehek was baffled while he looked as if it was most normal things to ask. She took the sandwich and held it close to his mouth for him to bite. 

"Get me the coffee also", he asked sweetly. She lifted the cup and held it close to the mouth. All the while he was holding and playing with Diya while flashing his dimpled smile to Mehek. Inspite of her strong resolution, to be away from Shaurya, she wished if it was her family. Her tiny happy family with a loving husband and new born baby. She would have had it all if not for her impulsiveness. She held the napkin to wipe his mouth when a bit of butter was smeared on it.

Shaurya's side of flash back

It was the first valentine's day since their engagement. Mehek was reluctant to spend the evening with Shaurya but he had promised to make it worthwhile. Mehek was used to party all night with her friends during such occasions. Rishabh was hosting a party at his pent house but she was prohibited to attend. When Shauyra expressed his wish to spend Valentine's day with Mehek, her father agreed. Mehek too didn't deny. She wasn't looking forward to it but secretly hope she could sneak out and  go to Rishabh's party

Shaurya was put up in a studio apartment near his college. "You live here!", Mehek scrunched her nose in disapproval. It was neat & tidy yet small for Mehek's taste. The furniture were old and wall was painted in dull colors. "Most of my classmates stay in hostel rooms shared by 3 or 4. I am happy that I could afford atleast this one", he explained. 

"I'm sure Jugraj Uncle could have afforded a better place for you", she was sarcastic. "I am still dependent on my dad. Yet my part time job helps me to pay my own rent and trust me Baba is proud of me that I don't pester him for a pent house", he told her. Indirectly he was indicating that Rishabh still leeched on their father for his luxurious taste. "There is nothing wrong in it if your family can afford it", Mehek was offended as she was also using her dad's finance. "May be but then at some point we need to show that we have grown up", he told earnestly. Mehek was flustered and looked around, "So what's the plan? Are we going to some restaurant or a movie ?", she asked since she was sure that he didn't like clubbing

A smile bloomed when he held her wrist and said, "Come with me. I promise you will like it". He took her to the terrace while Mehek was still wary. But when she saw the arrangements he had made, she could stop smiling. 

A tiny tent was set up with a few flickering light

A tiny tent was set up with a few flickering light. A small bed with comfy pillows were arranged into it. From the look of unprofessional finish, it was evident that he did all by himself. "Wow", it escaped her mouth and a blush crept on his face when he knew she liked it. "I guess then it is home cooked food", she tried to taunt him. "No. Burgers from your favourite joint", he showed her the paper bags. "Shaurya, you remembered", Mehek was truly in awe. Few days back, she had casually mentioned about the place. "It will ruin my diet plan", she whined. "For one meal, you can give up your diet. Workout for an extra 30 minutes tomorrow", Shauyra suggested. Soon they both started to dig into their burgers.

Like usual, Shaurya managed to let her guards down. He got a glimpse of real Mehek. Her likes, dislikes, ambition and dreams. She talked freely to him. Surprisingly, she seemed to be interested in Shaurya's side too. They talked for hours without a boring minute. Time passed and both didn't realise it until Vikram called Mehek. 

Her father had send their driver to pick Mehek. Shaurya walked her till the car. Until they reached the car, Mehek didn't realise that they were holding hands. "I had a great time. Thanks", she squeezed his hand before leaving it. 

"You got a bit of sauce on your face", he told her. Mehek tried to wipe it away without knowing where it is. "Allow me", he brushed his thumb at corner of her lips. Unknown to herself, a shiver ran her spine when he touched her lips momentarily. "Happy Valentine's day, Mehek", he placed a quick kiss on her cheek. Mehek turned crimson and got inside the car while he tried to hide his proud smile.

All images are downloaded from internet. Author doesn't own any of them