Chapter 28

"Mehek", Vivaan's shrill voice startled her. She had paid her hospital bill and was about to leave the hospital when he interrupted her. Mehek was baffled by his behaviour. She thought may be he had paid money for her but it was rude ask it on his face. "Thanks for your kindness, Mr Kapur. Is there anything that you wanted to tell me?", she told as much as polite she could be. 

Vivaan blinked at her and smiled sheepishly. Shadowing a person was easy but accompanying her without her knowledge was difficult. But he had direct orders from Shaurya. His boss wanted her to escorted back home safely and also more information about her medical condition.

"I feel obliged to drop you home", he gathered his words. Mehek was truly confused, "Thanks, Mr Kapur but you have done enough. Besides, I am not heading home but in a hurry to reach somewhere else". "Then please allow me to drop you. I won't be able to sleep peacefully if I let you leave hospital on your own", he appeared to be dramatic. Mehek thought for a while. She wanted to reach Dristhi's hospital soon and taking lift from him seemed appealing.

"Can you drive a bit faster? I need to reach the hospital before visiting hours are over", Mehek was tensed. He nodded and pressed his foot on accelerator. "Who is admitted there?", he asked curiously. "My daughter", she replied quickly but bit her tongue for divulging her personal details to a stranger. "Don't worry she will be fine. I will make sure you reach there on time", he consoled her. Mehek gave him a weak smile, "I appreciate your help, Mr Kapur". "Please call me, Vivaan. After all, I am calling you by your first name and not as Ms Maan", he tried to get friendly.

Mehek wondered how he knew her last name. She gave her name as Mehek in hospital. Still she gave him benefit of doubt. After some time he asked again, "So this medical conditions occurred after your first delivery, isn't it? Was it because of any issue during delivery or some other issue?". Mehek became alert, "You seem to be quiet interested in my condition, Mr Kapur". "I was just trying to make conversation", he countered her. "What do you do for a living, Mr Kapur?", she asked him. Vivaan thought for a moment to lie, "I am photographer". "Nature or Fashion", she asked quickly. "Fashion", he replied without thinking.

Mehek smirked at his mistake. Long back, Mehek was also keen about fashion photography and was aware of its nuances. So it took only few more questions to know that Mr Vivaan Kapur had lied. She was on guard until they reached the hospital. She perceived that he is more than what he portrays.

Mehek visited Drishti and talked to her Doctor. After spending some time in the hospital, she came out looking for a bus or auto. Vivaan had parked his car in the premises after informing Shaurya. "I see that you are still here, Mr Kapur", Mehek smirked at him, "if you are still feeling obliged, you can drop me home". Vivaan was surprised but agreed. 

Mehek had already understood that he was working for Shaurya. She didn't talk much during the drive but somehow Vivaan felt she was deeply disturbed. She thanked him briefly before hopping off his car. "Mehek", he called her, "this is my card. If you need someone to talk, you can call me". He didn't know why he handed over his personal number to Mehek. But somehow he felt that she needed a friend.

Mehek walked into the home where Shaurya was waiting for her. It was pointless to ask her whereabouts since he knew about each minute.. He already knew from Drishti's hospital that Mehek had gone and checked with them regarding the total expenses on her treatment. They have informed Mehek that Dristhi was doing great and can be discharged any day. Now it was just continuing her medicines at home. It was clear, she was trying to pay him back and escape his clutches. Regardless of his revenge and hatred for Mehek, losing her was not acceptable for him. He was devising ways to keep her tied down to him when she walked in.

Mehek appeared to be tired and lost. He expected her to ignore him or burst down in anger but she just gave him a vacant smile as if nothing out of ordinary had happened. "Hope Diya didn't miss me", she told plainly while trying to walk to nursery. She felt dizzy and Shaurya rushed to her side to aid her, "Diya is fine and already asleep, Mehek. You need to rest. Let me take you to your room". 

"Thanks", she smiled at him in fatigue and took his support. He helped her to reach her room. "Shall I call a Doctor?", he was genuinely worried for her. "It's okay. I will be fine after a good night sleep", she told while he helped to lay on the bed. He knew she had to take medicines but was still unsure how to confront her without giving away that he is already aware of her condition.

"Mehek, I want to...", he turned to face her but she was already asleep. Shaurya wondered how she managed to sleep so peacefully after a sickening day. He signed and covered her with quilt. He pecked her forehead and said soft Good night to her.

Shaurya was unable to sleep. He wanted to know more about Mehek but was still not ready to trust her. He called Aarush, "I need more information about Mehek. Mainly about her physical health. She seemed to have suffered ailment in past". Aarush was already aware of the it from Vivaan but he didn't stop Shaurya when he poured out his worry. His friend was warming up to Mehek again and his concern for her seemed to be genuine. 

Aarush wanted Shaurya to be happy but was concerned too. From whatever facts he knew about Mehek, she was not trust worthy. "Shaurya, I will try to dig deeper. Meanwhile, I have a feeling that Mehek is planning something huge. Vivaan will keep an eye on her if she venture outside. But we need to cover her when she is at your home also. Ensure she doesn't harm Diya in anyway", Aarush warned her. Shaurya quickly perceived the logic of his words.

Mehek appeared to be normal in following days. But subtle changes in her were visible. She no longer used the mobile he gifted and started to wear her old cloths. Shaurya acted to be busy and she didn't disturb him. Whenever they crossed eachother Mehek tried to keep a pleasant face but her smile was vacant. He wanted to converse and put and end to their silent treatment but couldn't 

In a couple of days, Shaurya hired a new nanny for Diya. "Since you are unwell and weak, I thought you could use an extra help", Shauyra tried to cover his attempt when he introduced the new nanny to Mehek. She simply nodded as if understanding his logic. But before she exited, he heard her say softly, "I will never hurt Diya".

Deep down he knew that she will never hurt Diya. But Mehek was planning to escape and he will do everything in his power to keep her caged. In this tug of war, Diya shall not get hurt. It was just precautionary measure.