Chapter 25

Whenever Mehek made peace with her life, fate decided to test her. Years back, when she was engaged to Shaurya, she was devastated. She compromised with a heavy heart that marrying to a man of her choice was not her privilege. She decided to remain cold and distant from her fiance. She was always rude to him and treated him badly. 

But Shaurya patiently endured it all and slowly crawled into her heart. He became someone so special that she gave herself to him willingly. She wanted to believe in Shaurya's faith that one day she will fall in love with him and until then his love was enough for them. They didn't know that sometimes love is not enough. Often you need good fortune too to end up with the person meant for you.

Mehek's side of flash back

Their reception rehearsal party was going on full swing. Function was grand, befitting the class of both families. Guests poured in wishing the couple while all family members enjoyed. Bride & Groom were in limelight so they didn't get any moment to be lone with one another. After their passionate tryst, Shaurya met Mehek for few times that too mostly with families. They talked regularly over phone yet couldn't meet in person. Mehek could easily read his yearn to be with her as she too had the same feelings. She was not sure about love but their attraction was undeniable.

Mehek gasped when he intertwined their hands while acknowledging the guests. She pursed her lips to hide her smile since she enjoyed his touch.  Suddenly from the crowd she saw Rishabh who walked dubiously towards them. He congratulated them and looked at Mehek sadly. She felt bad for Rishabh. After their fight, he tried to call her several times but she avoided him. But when she saw his state, she was unhappy

It was late night and party was almost over. Both sides bid farewell for the big day. Mehek had walked out of the ladies room when Rishabh ushered her to a lone corner. "Mehek don't go ahead with this marriage. This is pure self-destruction", Rishabh blabbered. "Leave me , Rishabh. Are you out of your mind?", she rebuked him after pushing him away. "Mehek, these few days away from you made me realise the truth that I cannot live without you. I am crazily in love you. And I know you feel the same. Please come with me, Mehek", he coaxed her. As she remained stupefied, he went on, "We will run away, Mehek. In few days, situation will mellow down. Baba will accept us and later Vikram uncle will also yield". Mehek was shocked to hear his preposterous plan. "I love you, Mehek. Please marry me", he proposed her and tried to kiss her. But she pushed him away.

"Rishabh, you are a good friend. Maybe even the best friend I had so far. That's it. Nothing more. I have no feelings for you other than friendship", Mehek rejected him vehemently. "Please don't deny, Mehek. I know you are scared and confused. But I beg you to dare and embrace the beautiful future with me", he implored her. "Rishabh, get into your thick skull that I don't love you. So don't waste your time and get lost", she scolded him and walked away. T

That very moment, she realised that she cannot imagine a life without Shaurya. She had fallen for the chubby, uncharming Shaurya Ahlawat. 

End of flashback

It was late night but Shaurya didn't want to go back home. So he stayed at office deliberately. It is true as the saying goes 'what goes around comes around'. Today, Mehek had asked for a commitment beyond physical intimacy, the same way he had asked her years back.

Shaurya's side of flashback

He was searching for Mehek when she suddenly emerged from a dark corner with Rishabh in tow. He was aghast but soon became angry when his half-brother smirked at him wickedly. Once Rishabh walked away, Mehek quickly explained, "It's not like what you think". Shaurya wanted to trust her. Mehek never lied to him. She was always brutally honest with him. Moreover he knew Rishabh too well. He was a cunning manipulative snake. So he took deep breaths to calm himself.