Chapter 18

"Khushi stayed outside till late night until I convinced her to return", Awara informed Shaurya in the morning. He glared at his butler while sipping taking his tea. Awara was nervous but he continued after a pausing for a minute or two, "Shashi Sir was taken ill suddenly. It's true that he doesn't have much time left. I know it is not my place say anything but I have been working here for long. Swati baby had great respect for him". 

Shaurya smirked at Awara who was far away from truth despite being with Swati's family for many years. In eyes of a common man, Shashi Gupta is still a commendable social worker. "Sir, I don't know the reason of Shashi's Sir wish to see Diya or your animosity towards him. It will be a sin to deny a dying man's wish. Swati baby would never have wished for it", he advised and left quickly.

"Keep Diya ready. I am taking her to hospital to visit that old man whose daughter is pestering me", he told rudely to Mehek once he barged into the nursery. She nodded obediently. In few minutes, Mehek dressed Diya in a comfortable onesie and covered with a soft baby blanket. 

Shaurya was planning to go solo and didn't take the driver. He asked her to place Diya in baby seater but she squirmed in discomfort. Mehek tried again but Diya didn't cooperate. "Get in", he barked at Mehek. She sat in the car while holding Diya carefully. He helped her to wear seat belt and they drove away.In few minutes, Diya fell asleep in her arms.

The scene at hospital was emotional. Shashi Gupta was extremely weak and lying on bed waiting for his time to end. When Khusi informed about Diya's arrival, he looked content. He folded his hands to Shaurya. Mehek wasn't sure whether he was apologizing or respecting him. Nevertheless Shaurya didn't respond, he just gestured Mehek to bring Diya near to him. Mehek walked closer to him so that he can see Diya properly

Tears welled in the dying man's eyes and spilled out in abundance. With trembling hands, he tried to touch Diya's little feet. "I will take good care of her", Shaurya told firmly. A faint 'Thank you' was heard from the weak old man while Khushi wiped away his tears. 

"We are leaving", Shaurya announced and left the room with out further adieu. As if on cue, Mehek trotted behind him. "Mr Ahlawat", Khushi called out several times before he came to halt. "I am extremely grateful to you", she folded her hands before him to show her gratitude. Shaurya drew a sharp breath and nodded passively but didn't speak a word.

"Don't you want you ask about it", Shauyra asked Mehek. He had stopped the car. Diya was crying being irritated by long drive. So he took a break at a peaceful spot, while Mehek changed her diaper and fed her bottle. Mehek shook her head, "It's not my place to intervene. But I know you did the right thing". He smirked, "Really?". "At times, letting go is the best. I am sure you are feeling light", Mehek told him. "It sure does", Shaurya agreed inwardly but didn't say it aloud.

By evening, Mehek was summoned to his study. "Shashi Gupta passed away", he informed Mehek. She said a silent prayer for the departed soul."It would have weighed heavily on my conscience if I had not taken Diya to him", he told her thoughtfully,  "After hearing about his demise, I thought about what you said today. Doing the right thing, indeed made me feel better", he paused before continuing, "These unnecessary grudges taint your soul. So I have decided to free myself from them". 

Mehek stood listening to him attentively. "It's hard for me but I am letting go off my ill feelings for you. From this moment, you are just my employee, Diya's nanny. I will consider that we don't have a past", he declared. She was unable to balance her reaction. All she could utter was, "Thank you, Sir". "You are welcome", he dismissed her. 

But before she left, he called her again, "Ms Maan, I really want to help your daughter. Not just her but few other kids from the same home are planned to be treated with all expenses covered by my company", he explained. "Thank you for your kindness but I am afraid it will be too much benevolence for me to bear", she didn't want to be under his charity. Although she was happy, she failed to trust him completely. "That could be managed", he didn't explain further and asked her to leave.

Next morning, all servants were summoned into the hall. Mehek noticed that many of the staffs who were rude to Mehek were fired. "From today, Ms Mehek Maan will be running the household. She is the head and you all are answerable to her", Shaurya's announcement was surprise, even for Mehek. Awara didn't look pleased but he had little say in it.

Mehek walked behind Shaurya to his study, "What was that about, Sir?". "I promoted you. You have better salary and benefits. Your old contract is null & void. It won't be a problem for you to pay back my charity in due time", he told plainly, "I want to start Drishti's treatment as soon as possible. Mother Superior had informed me that she is falling sick more often". Mehek had no more excuses to deny his good will. 

Couple of few weeks passed smoothly. Drishti along with few others kids were shifted to a better hospital. Mehek was able to visit her frequently. Drishti was getting better day by day. Mehek had none to thank but Shaurya yet he never tried to impose it on her. Awara helped Mehek to manage the household. She never tried to intervene in his areas and preferred to act as his assistant although Shaurya had informed otherwise. Staff feared to show their attitude to Mehek and obeyed her but they talked behind her back. They still called her a cunning witch who trapped their master but only secretly.

"Give me some good news, Aarush?", Shaurya was irked. "Hey, I am not a professional sleuth", Aarush retorted. "But you are ex-army and my security head", Shaurya tried to coax him. "And your friend who will be discreet and trustful", Aarush completed. He knew very well the reason why externals were not involved in this investigation. It was too personal for Shaurya. Both friends chuckled. 

"But seriously Bro. I guess for Rishabh Ahlawat may be we have to hire a professional. Your half brother just disappeared from face of earth. No credit card swipe, his phone is inert and none of his friends have a clue about him. His mother passed away in an accident while being abroad with her latest boyfriend so it is dead from there as well", Aarush's words made his thoughtful. "Phone & Friends , I can understand. But money", Shaurya told Aarush carefully, "He always needed money". "Either he developed a new sense of honour or found a better source to leech". "The latter seems more likely", Shaurya echoed his thoughts which Aarush agreed. "May be he charmed a richer woman", Aarush told him. 

"Anything about Mehek", Shaurya asked keeping a poker face."I thought you didn't want me to probe about her", Aarush played innocent. Although he wanted to bury his past with Mehek, he was still curious so he glared at Aarush. His friend didn't act further fearing Shaurya's temper. "Tracing Mehek was comparatively easier. She was with Khurana family for past 3 to 4 years. She was recommended to them by some acquaintances . Mehek's daughter has been in & out of hospitals regularly. Job at Khurannas helped her stay afloat but she always struggled to make ends meet", Aarush told compassionately, "It's tough for single mother with a sick child". 

"Nothing interesting so far", Shaurya chided Aarush's pity for Mehek, "Where was she before coming to Khurana's?". "I am looking into it", Aarush replied bit his mannerism indicated that there was more to it. "Aarush, what is it?", Shaurya asked cautiously. "May be trivial. Or could be just a rumour from Maan's office. About a month after Mehek's disappearance, Vikram Maan transferred money to Mehek. The amount was not huge ", he paused momentarily. "Absurd. Vikram uncle would never hidden it from us", Shaurya was aghast. Aarush shrugged her shoulders. "Dig deeper", he commanded Aarush.

Apologies for not replying in last chapter. But I am back after hibernating during long weekend and will reply to all comments. Please don't forget to vote 😁