Chapter 40

Shaurya was eagerly waiting at his home, to catch a glance of Mehek. He was joyous to know that Mehek had decided to stay with her father. It was better than remaining closer to Vivaan. He was envious of Vivaan yet could never despise him. He was with Mehek when she needed a good friend. But Shaurya was also anxious that it may lead to something more than friendship. He had only himself to blame for ruining his chance with Mehek. If he had listened to his heart then Mehek would have beside him.

As she had informed, Mehek came to pick up Drishti. Shaurya stood in awe when he met her. She looked different; confident and determined. She appeared to be mixture of flamboyant girl whom he was engaged to and also matured women whom he had hurt deeply. 

Mehek didn't show any animosity towards him and behaved to be normal. But he knew, they were anything but normal. Her conversations seemed amicable yet she was distant even when she stood beside him. Finally he carried Drishti into her car. "I will miss you, Baba", Drishti kissed his cheek while bidding farewell, "Don't worry, I will be back soon". Shaurya blinked back his tears and nodded. He knew very well Mehek will never let Drishti come back to him again.

"Time to sleep", Mehek made bed for Drishti. She was so happy to back with her mother. They played and chatted for some time until she said sadly, "I hope Baba and Diya are fine. I wish they were with us". Mehek was also concerned about Diya but got irked by the way Drishti missed Shaurya. "Did you miss me when I was away? ", Mehek asked her. Drishti nodded, "It used be to so sad and found it hard to believe that you left me alone". Mehek felt a sharp pang of guilt . Drishti continued,"But then Baba made me understand and slowly I learned to adjust. He took really good care of me". "That's nice . But now I am back and never going to leave you alone. So now you need to learn to adjust without him", Mehek sounded a bit firm.

"Why can't I have both of you?"", Drishti pouted, "Not only me but Diya also needs both Ma & Baba. Why can't be all be together?". Mehek's eyes moistened when she mentioned Diya. All of a sudden her little girl seemed to so matured that she appeared anxious about her sister. Mehek had to make her heart rock hard to keep her distance from Diya."It's complicated, Drishti. You won't understand", Mehek managed to utter.

Mehek laid Drishti on her bed and caressed her forehead, lulling her to sleep. "Baba loves me and Diya a lot", Drishti told her and Mehek nodded. She could never contradict with her claim. Shaurya indeed proved to be a good father. "But he loves you more", Drishti's words surprised Mehek. Drishti looked as if she was contemplating to talk or not and then spoke,  "Once at night I walked into his study and saw him talking to your photo. He was crying and held to it tightly". "Sleep tight, my dear ", Mehek made her sleep as she didn't want to hear anymore.

Next day morning, Shaurya called Mehek. He gave excuse that he wanted to about Drishti's well-being. He felt a bit confident to converse to Mehek over phone rather than in person. After cursory conversation, he build enough courage to breech the topic. "Mehek, can you please give me a second chance?", he begged her. "I gave you, Shaurya. Did you forget how you used it to avenge me?", she spat at him. He was ashamed but wanted to make amends, "I beg your forgiveness, Mehek. I was a s*ck ba*tard who broke you. But if you allow me, I will work for rest of the life to make you happy". He could hear Mehek taking a deep breath but she didn't befit him with an proper response.

"We need to talk about Dristhi's custody", she changed the topic abruptly. It was also clear indication that she was not keen to be with him again. He was losing Mehek again and this time he have to let go off of Drishti too. Legally, Mehek had no hold on Drishti but Shaurya can never to torment her again. He wasn't ready to give up Drishti but for Mehek's sake. He wished Mehek will allow him atleast to visit Drishti. "I will text you the location. Let's meet there by noon", she informed him.

Next day, on reaching the location, Shaurya wondered why Mehek had asked him to meet at a house which ready to be let out. It was simple yet comfortable two storied house. When Mehek arrived, she walked in to the house and he followed her. "Vivaan is moving abroad and he had asked me to accompany him", she told plainly while checking the house. "Why?", Shaurya was flabbergasted. "He proposed me", her words shocked him. 

Mehek walked around the house calmly. She behaved as if she didn't drop a bomb on him. "What do you think about this house?", she asked him plainly. Shaurya looked around to hide his pain. "It's nice", he managed to reply while pasting a fake smile on his face. "It not like your huge mansion but apt for a small family", she touched the walls, "I am planning to move in here". "What did Vivaan have to say about it?", Shaurya was curious. "He is okay with it", Mehek replied plainly. "But I thought you were settling abroad. He proposed to marry you, didn't he?", he asked again.

"I refused", Mehek informed Shaurya. Although she was not facing him, she could clearly hear him take a deep breath of relief. "Vivaan is a great guy. Any woman would be happy to have him. He is loving, kind, funny and a good kisser too ", Shaurya was unhappy when she praised Vivaan, especially on kissing part. "But I am not worthy of him. I have a messy life where I am trying to pick up the pieces. What can I offer him? A defective woman like me can't even give him a child", Mehek told sadly, "May be he is too dear to me that I decided to set him free for his own good. I wish he will get the best". Shaurya quickly covered distance between them and held her hand. "You are precious, Mehek. I am sure Vivaan is absolutely disappointed when you refused him. Probably in tears", his pacifying words made her laugh a bit. He smiled seeing her happy.

"You are a damaged man, Shaurya. A pathetic man who lost everything even when he has a lot. Perhaps a perfect match for me", Mehek smirked at him while a faint hope bloomed inside him. "Besides, you hold all evidences of my crime. It is better to remain closer to you. Don't you think?", she mocked him. His momentary happiness vanished after hearing her bitter words. 

"You are going to shift to this home with me & Drishti", Mehek told authoritatively. It wasn't a suggestion but a statement. He was startled and couldn't believe that he heard right. "Mehek, I am so hap...", before he could complete, she showed her palm to stop him. "This is not your chance, Mr Ahlawat. We are not getting back together. But living under a single roof. Just a farce for others. We will be strangers yet parents. This is a compromise for Diya and Drishti. They need a family that provides love & care from both mother and father. I want to live with both my girls and hope you do too ", she explained.

Mehek watched Shaurya for few moments. Although she had ordered him to move in, she was still skeptical whether he will accept it or not. Underneath her bold attitude, she still feared his rejection. Shaurya had nothing to gain from this arrangement. Will he prefer to leave?, she was apprehensive.

"When shall we move in?", Shaurya asked, indicating that he agreed to her proposal. "In a week", Mehek suppressed her happiness with cold tone. She walked towards exit door when he spoke determinedly, "I will win you again, Mehek". She knew he will not give up easily but didn't want to give him any ray of hope. She wanted to torment him and enjoy his desperation. "Highly unlikely, Shaurya. You have disappointed me twice", Mehek didn't turn back to him but spoke venomously at him. "Then I shall strive till my last breath", Shaurya also sounded adamant.