Chapter 7

===Hiccup===

Heather and my dad left a while ago, and it's already nightfall. I took over as soon as they left and sent Astrid and the twins to go get Snotlout. Hookfang was wide awake right after Heather and Dad left. And he immediately pestered us to find his rider. I relented, since Hookfang looked really restless.

I decided to stay awake and wait for them to come back.

I went to my workshop in the forge and did some tweaking to Toothless' automatic tail. I reinforced it, making it a lot less likely to break and made the tail flap from layers upon layers of Toothless' shedded skin sewn together to make it look like the real thing and more fireproof. He deserved to fly, even without me. Plus, it could be an advantage in case we ever get ourselves into trouble. And after what happened earlier today, it's more than likely.

"Burnin' the midnight oil, lad?" I hear Gobber ask me as he entered the forge.

"You could say that. Just passing the time really until Snotlout and the others get back. He can't be far from the island." I said to Gobber without looking at him.

"Aye, you're probably right. Though, it makes me wonder why you're staying up so late."

"Do you really have to ask me that? We've been doing this since we turned sixteen. He goes every summer, I go every fall with Aaron, Skylar and Nikolai go every spring. And we all managed to make it back after a day, perfectly fine, whether there's bad weather or vicious seas." I just raised my eyebrows at him.

"You're right. You're right. It's a right of passage and an obligation as the leading men of a tribe. And you've all made it back before with barely a scratch." Gobber left it alone.

"Besides, we have dragons. They'll be back within the night." I assured him.

"Okay, okay. I'll let it go. See you in the morning, Hiccup." He bid me before he went into his small living quarters in the forge.

I just shook my head and continued working on the tail. Toothless was already sleeping next to me.

Waiting for Snotlout and the others to come back isn't the only reason why I decided to stay up. I'm worried about Heather.

I just can't sleep not having her next to me. I got so used to falling asleep and waking up next to her that I can't even feel tired or sleepy when she's not next to me. It's unsettling. Even more so with what she's going through and I'm not there next to her. All I wanna do is follow them to Defenders of the Wing Island and be there to support her.

But, I can't. I'm acting chief. I can't leave the island to follow her. Dad trusted me to take care of the village. Besides, my father, uncle and godfathers are with her. Nothing bad can happen to her.

I needed to distract myself from worrying. I'd just be restless in my sleep. I needed to distract myself.

Well, that and the singing in my head is there again and it's been driving me crazy not knowing what it means.

It came to me again as soon as the sun disappeared into the horizon. I almost tripped on my own foot when it came out of nowhere. Luckily, no one noticed that klutz move a while ago. I did everything I could to get it out of my mind. The salmon ladder, flying with Toothless, drawing. Nothing really helped.

I do know where it's coming from now - Northeast. And it's the angels again. I have been waiting for the lullaby that Heather's been hearing to sing to me so I can help her figure out what it means. But, so far, only the angelic choir has been singing to me.

I was all alone. No one was awake, except for me. Astrid and the twins aren't back yet. And the music just keeps getting louder.

"To hell with it." I muttered as I ran to the highest point of the northeastern side of the island.

Toothless running behind me, his new tail in place and ready to go. He roared after me, worried about what I was doing and where I was going. I didn't listen. I just followed the sound, running as fast as I can. Toothless following me close behind.

The music is filling my senses, surrounding me. I can't keep blocking it forever. At some point, I needed to surrender.

As I ran out of breath from running so far, I reached a grassy cliff on the side of island. I closed my eyes and let the music take my thoughts.

Na na na hey yah na
Na hee yah ah na ah
Na hey yah hey yah na yah noo ah
Ha na hey ooh noo ah na

I feel like I'm being lifted off of the ground, even though I can still feel the earth beneath me. The goosebumps came back and they travelled all over my body, sending shivers even though it's a pretty warm evening.

I feel myself slowly slipping into a familiar euphoria -the kind I felt whenever I sang with Heather. Only, it's more instense and overwhelming. I felt like I lost my voice.

The music finally finished, and I felt my soul float back to my body. As I opened my eyes, I hear a whisper in my ear.

Sing the Song.

Sing the Song.

Sing the Song.

It was like the whisper of a woman, coaxing me into temptation. And yet, I was confused. Even more than I was.

Sing the Song.

Sing the Song.

What song?

Suddenly, I heard that voice again, only it's singing a recurring melody.

Ah ah Ah ah
Ah ah Ah ah

Then, a bolt of lighting and a clap of thunder came from the far northeast.

And suddenly, the song just came to me.