Chapter 40

=Jack=

Ever since I discovered I could fly, the open sky has been my safe haven. The clouds, the headwinds, the tailwinds, the bright sun. It was like this whole other world beyond the clouds. It was like the one place I could claim as my own. The one place that gave me peace.

The feeling grew even more when I realized I wasn't alone. Up in the sky, Iceblade and I got to know each other more, even when words completely fail. Flying right beside him was pretty fun, and it really cheered me up.

But, it's actually different when I'm riding him. It's as if we're bonding or something. Like our friendship is growing deeper when I ride him and we're alone in the sky.

It was the greatest feeling ever. Being with him.... made me feel.... well.... more human than spirit. It's like I had a heart again and it was beating in sync with his. It's like I had a sould again, and it's always there whenever I look in his eyes.

"What do you think is happening to me?" I asked him.

All I received in reply was an empathetic purr. Which actually made me feel better.

Time didn't exist in that moment. Iceblade and I just enjoyed each other's company and the peace and quiet in the icy tundra. I was leaning on his belly, both of us in the snow facing the workshop, with me stroking his metal head. No thoughts were running through my mind as I did. Just the wind howling and the white snow filling my senses.

Until I heard the beating of metallic wings approaching. I didn't even need to see who it was. I had a hunch she would come looking for me.

"North figured you'd be out here." Heather said as she sat down beside me on the snow.

She was wearing a thick, red overcoat and gloves, her dark hair flying freely in the wind. No doubt the yetis made it for her. Her arms were crossed over her chest, hands probably freezing.

"I did tell him I'd be with Iceblade if anyone looks for me."

"You've been seeing her again, haven't you?" She got straight to the point.

Which I really admire about her. She doesn't beat around the bush. But, I don't even know if I wanna talk about it, so I just nodded without even glancing at her.

"What did you see this time?"

Turns out, I do wanna talk about it. It's killing me keeping this in and driving me crazy. And since Heather has been experiencing somewhat the same, what's the harm?

"This ice castle from her memories. The ice looked like it was growing a bright blue. It was magnificent and flawless. I thought I was alone there, but I wasn't. She was there, too. Dressed in white and in a room with a balcony on the highest floor of the castle. By the time our eyes connected, I woke up."

And as I talked about it, I realized something.

"It didn't feel like her memories, though. In the dream, I.... felt like she was really there. It was her, dressed in white in the middle of the room. It was like....... she and I were in this other world, together. But, I can't say for sure because, I woke up before I could even say hi."

"Wow. Does North know about this?"

"No. He knows I've been falling asleep, which is unnatural for us Guardians. If I tell him about this, he's just gonna get worried. He already has enough on his plate with it being halfway to Christmas." I shook my head.

"Christmas?" She asked.

"It's a winter holiday of giving that he presides. Happens evere December or the end of every year."

"Oh. You mean Snoggletog?" Say what?

"Snoggle---what?" I turned to her, thinking I might have misheard what she just said.

"We have a similar holiday, only us vikings call it Snoggletog." She explains.

"Is the name seriously for real?" I asked her, trying hard not to laugh at the name.

"Yeah. The name Christmas is a lot easier to say and more pleasant to hear. Trust me, it wasn't our idea to call it that. But, tradition is tradition. And it's what we've been doing since Vikings began."

"How about we just meet halfway and call it the Holidays, since it refers to both of them no matter where you're from." I improvised.

"Deal."

"So, what are you gonna do now?" She asked after a beat, referring to the dream.

"I don't know. There's not much I can do now than wait for the next one. I barely had the chance to get answers last time. Hopefully, by then, I won't wake up from shock when I see her again." I shrugged.

"What have you picked up about her in your previous dreams, so far?" She asked.

"She's independent. Kind of an introvert and is used to being alone. Which is why she sometimes prefers it over big crowds. She's caring and protective, especially to her family and her sister. She's intelligent and strategic, too. And.... she's never been in love. Which I find a little hard to believe. From what I can see, she's a very beautiful woman. She must have guys lining up to woo her. But, I didn't even see any. Oh, and she has powerful winter magic like mine. I feel like I've mentioned that to you before." I told her, gettting lost in these memories I have of her past.

"Yeah, you might have. And I think I also mentioned to you that maybe that's what's happening to you. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure. Maybe this is happening because your winter magic is connecting to each other. It's seeking each other out, and the dreams are like clues and beacons to who and what you're suppose to find." She theorized.

"It's possible. But, why now? We've had these powers for a long time -me longer than her. And I've never even known about her until now. Why is that?" I asked, my frustration leaking out again.

"You're probably tired of hearing this by now. But, the questions you're asking can't be answered right now." She gently said to me.

"I know, I know. The River of Memories has the answers. I just hope it does because this is just driving me insane." I sighed, laying down on the snow.

"Yeah, North mentioned that."

"What about you? Have the visions been occuring to you lately?" I asked her.

"Surprisingly, no. They haven't. All I can see is my boyfriend in my dreams. But, that's normal because I've been missing him. I do see some of his memories, but he would tell me stories of his childhood every now and then back at his home. And I'm probably just visualizing those stories in my head -using my imagination." She just shrugged.

And I envied her in that moment. She's been having dreams, but it had a valid reason. Mine didn't, and it's pissing me off.

We stayed out in the cold until North sent Skylar to call us back inside. The Guardians better get here as promised, or else I'm seriously gonna lose it with all these questions in my head.