Chapter 34

=Heather=

"Wait, where?" Dagur asked, confused.

And I don't blame him. What we just told him isn't exactly processable after a few seconds of telling.

We were gathered around the fire eating dinner when Jack and I told my mom, Dagur and Skylar that we are going with Jack to the North Pole to get to the River of Memories.

"The North Pole. Basically, a desert of ice and snow with a big wooden castle in the middle. It's where I came from before I got caught in the storm and got lost on my way to the River of Memories. It's pretty easy to go there -straight up North." Jack explained.

"So, your kind of place?" Dagur asked.

"Basically, yeah." Jack nodded.

"It's better than going back. And it's much closer to the River. We may not have much time left and Hiccup and the others might already be there waiting for us." I added.

"She's right. Hiccup, Aaron and Nikolai could already be there, waiting." Skylar agreed.

"And Mom, you have to come with us." I turned to my mother who was silent the entire time we were talking.

"What?" She was shocked.

"She's right. Mom, you need to come with us. You know where North is from here. And it's about time you came home." Dagur agreed with me.

"Honey, I couldn't. I've been away for so long. I don't know if I can come back. What would our tribe say? What would your father say? And what about this place? What about the dragons?" She worried.

"Mom, you won't know unless you come back with us. The dragons here have been taking care of this place even before you came. You said so yourself. I'm sure they can manage without you. You can even visit from time to time. As for the tribe, it's in ruins because of Dagur." I said, glaring at my brother for the last part.

He just smiled sheepishly before adding to what I said, "The tribe aside, dad is going to be thrilled seeing you again. Besides, better late than never."

"Come home, Mom. Be a mother and a wife again -our mother and dad's wife. Please." I gently begged her.

"How could I say no when it's my own children begging me to. come home. Of course I will." She said as she pulled the both of us in a hug.

"Great. We all leave first thing tomorrow morning." I announced as we finisged dinner.

"Make sure to pack warm clothes. Lots of them. The thicker, the better." Jack advised us.

"How cold is it there?" In had to ask.

"Freezing Cold that five seconds on the ice is an automatic frost bite without any cold gear." He answered.

"Good thing I have plenty for everyone here." Mom said as she and I began cleaning up.

=========================

Jack woke us all up bright and early to get ready. Mom had to pack all her stuff unto Typhoon with a makeshift saddle she and I made to carry it all. Any extra luggage, we had Vesper and Callisto carry. He even told us to suit up already so we can stay on track the entire trip.

The sun was already up and we were about to take off. We gave Mom an hour to say good-bye to all the dragons in the garden. It was a pretty tearful goodbye so we avoided watching it.

My thoughts suddenly drifted off to Hiccup again.

Hold on, my love. I'm coming.

I was already daydreaming of running into his arms, feeling his warm embrace around me as he whispered in my ear how much he missed me. And I would do the same, hugging him close to me to make up for all the nights I missed him sleeping with me.

"Hey, if you're done daydreaming about your boyfriend, it's time to go!" Skylar's voice jolted me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry." I blushed as I composed myself before I mounted Windshear.

And just in time, Mom got back from saying good-bye. Cheeks tear-stained and she was still sniffling.

"You good, Mom?" I asked her.

"I'm good honey. Let's go." And we were off.

Mom and Jack were leading the way -straight up North.

==========================

Jack wasn't kidding about the cold. The further up North we ventured, the colder it got. And we were still not there yet. There were no signs of the icy tundra that Jack described for miles, al though it did get considerably colder which made me thankful that I listened to him about the heavy coats. I shivered a little every time a gust of cold north wind blew as we flew towards..... well..... north.

"I can see the ice caps. We're almost there." Jack called out to us after quite some time.

I was about to thank the gods when I saw that the North Pole was a desert of ice. Damn it. It didn't help that it was already getting dark.

"Jack, is there a place for us there to rest and regroup? Possibly warm up? It's getting pretty late already." I said to him.

"There is, but it's in the middle of the tundra." He replied.

"Tundra?" Skylar, Dagur and I asked, confused.

"Tundra is what a wasteland of ice called." He just said, and we nodded.

"Well then, let's keep going." I said and we pressed on.

The further we flew, the colder and darker it got. Good thing we have Midnight with us. She led our way towards this rest stop Jack was talking about in the dark. I had to put my mask on to keep my face from freezing.

"How much further, Jack?" I asked him, my teeth starting to chatter.

"Keep your eyes out for a large dome or a wooden castle on a glacier." He answered.

And we kept flying straight ahead with Skylar and Jack in the lead. I tried doing as he said, but I was just too cold.

"We're here!" He exclaimed after a few moments later.

And I couldn't help but sigh in relief as I looked up.

Once again, Jack was right -a large wooden castle sitting on a glacier with a big glass dome.

"What is this place?" I asked him.

"This is the North Pole, aka Santa Claus's workshop. This is where I stay when I'm not being the Winter Spirit and the Guardian of Fun." He told us.

"Like I said -your kind of place." Dagur brought up and Jack just nodded.

"Are you sure it's okay for us to be there?" I had to ask him.

"Positive. North loves visitors." He said, but he sounded unsure.

"North?"

"Nickname for Santa Claus or St. Nick. He's the owner of this place." He said.

And we entered through a tunnel of ice in the side of the castle.