Chapter 25

===Hiccup===

We were flying above the icy ocean, a little ways away from the sanctuary. Aaron, Nikolai and I followed my mother all the way out here, along with what I can see are all the dragons of the sanctuary right behind us.

"Hey, I-I thought we were going to eat?" I asked her.

The three of us that were following her on the backs of Night Furies exchanged confused looks before she and Cloudjumper turned around, gestured for us to stop and answered the question,

"Oh we are." And she gestured to the ocean below.

I looked down, and I had to blink twice to make sure what I saw was real - the Bewilderbeast rising to the surface with his mouth wide open and accompanied by a swarm of tidal class dragons.

He finally surfaced, and it was -hands down -one of the coolest things I have ever seen a dragon can do. I can clearly see millions of fish inside his mouth before he closed it when he jumped out of the water. Then, he spit it into the sky, and it was raining fish. It was awesome!!!

My mom was laughing all of a sudden, probably because my jaw hit the ocean floor from what I just witnessed.

All the dragons were in a feeding frenzy, flying around trying to catch as much fish as they can. I saw Toothless, Phantom and Leo with their tongues sticking out, gummy smiles and joy in their eyes. Aaron, Nikolai and I laughed before we let them go crazy. And they did just that.

Toothless went for a dive, and I almost flew off the saddle because I wasn't holding on to him. Luckily, I had one hand on the saddle, but man was that scary. He didn't seem to notice from the amount of fish stuffed in his mouth and how he's purring like the cat that got all the cream from the cupboard.

Mom didn't forget about us, though. She got four small salmons for us to eat, roasted by our dragons to perfection. We all sat on a glacier, getting Mom up to speed about what's going on back home.

Until Nikolai dropped a bomb on her that I wasn't ready to talki about just yet -the Berserker-Hooligan Betrothal 18 years ago.

"Aunt Valka, what do you know about the Berserker-Hooligan Betrothal 18 years ago?" Remind me to throw Nik's ass in the ocean after this.

"Well, it was a year after Hiccup and Oswald's daughter, Heather, was born when they finalised the treaty between the two tribes for a better chance of permanent peace. I remember specifically that, once Hiccup and Heather turn 18, it is according to viking custom that the betrothed get married to solidify the union between the tribes and the possibility of a future heir that will lead the two tribes in harmony. But, that was all for naught after Oswald's daughter disappeared. Why do you ask, Nikolai?" Mom said.

"Well... how would you feel if Oswald's daughter returned, and is in fact in love with Hiccup, way before they knew about the betrothal?" He asked, smirking at me.

I glared holes into his eyes as he did. I love the guy, but he would sometimes do things to get on my nerves. Then again, I would take him over Snotlout getting on my nerves any day.

"Really? My son is in love with Oswald's long lost daughter?" My mom asked, looking a little surprised.

And I don't blame her.

"I was gonna tell you, but someone beat me to it." I defended, sending a glare to Nikolai who began whistling as if he was innocent.

I just rolled my eyes and told her everything. From 3 years ago when we first met, to how we met again, the vendetta, Thawfest, finding out she was Oswald's daughter, me winning Thawfest with her help -which Mom interrupted as she told me how proud I am-, up until Dagur's engagement which led to her going to her father who miraculously returned after 18 years.

And telling her that story reminded me of what I was doing out here in the first place. I wonder if Mom knows about it.

"Wow... that's.... a lot, Hiccup." She breathed out after I finished my story.

"Yeah, not exactly a story over lunch, huh?" I sighed.

"I agree, but I'm glad you told me anyway. Oh, I've misses so much from your life, son. Would you give me a chance to be the mother you deserve, even if it is a bit too late?" She asked, and I nodded right away.

"I would love nothing more, Mom." I said and gave her a hug, which she returned.

After we pulled away, I just had to ask her.

"Mom, do you know the way to the River of Memories?"

"The River of Memories? I thought that was just a myth? Many have dared to venture to it, but none have succeeded and they drowned before they could even get there." She said.

"Yeah, like we did. And we were on the backs of powerful dragons. A raging storm threw us off course and led us to you." Aaron told her.

"Mom, it's real. I can feel it." I said to her, and told her the story of me singing, the visions in magic snowflakes, the voice of angels in my head - all of it.

I take it this is more information about me than she was expecting.

"If all this happened to you, then the River of Memories must exist. Sadly, I don't know where it is. I have spent 18 years here, traveling and exploring, and I have never seen it. I'm sorry." She said to us, and we all sighed.

"Come on, I wanna show you something. It may not help in your search of the River of Memories, but hopefully it will cheer you three up." She said as we all began mounting our dragons.

We were about to take off, when panicked roars and squeals of dragons coming from the sanctuary, and a familiar fireball shot into the sky caught our attention.

"Did anyone else see that?" I asked them.

"Looks awfully familiar, boys." Aaron said.

"Come on, let's go see what's going on." Mom said as we flew fast to the sanctuary.

And I wasn't prepared for what I saw when we got there, nor were Aaron, Skylar and our Night Furies.