Chapter 33

=Hiccup=

For the rest of the day, I took Elsa and Angel flying all around the Sanctuary. Mom accompanied us, of course. She even showed us a trick that is only for Night and Light Furies. It's relating to speed and maneuverability that Elsa and I had to try out. It was a pretty fun day.

As much as I love being around Elsa, I can't help but miss Heather even more. She would have loved it. Don't get me wrong, Elsa is amazing. But, all of this is new to her so there is understandable hesitation.

Not to compare, but Heather would have gone for it without a second thought. And it's what I love about her. She's as much an adrenaline junkie as I am. I'm really missing her. I know she and Windshear would have loved this place. And I definitely know that Mom and Elsa would love her when they meet her.

Nikolai and Aaron better find that journal fast. I can't wait to get to my girl again.

When we got back, Elsa had a ton of questions and Mom was more than happy to answer them for her. I guess all that flying released the wild side that was beneath that frosty exterior of hers.

I just sat on a ledge, leaning back against Toothless who was happily napping and curled up, watching dragons fly around the sanctuary. All I could think about was Heather, wondering if she was waiting for me at the River of Memories with Skylar.

"You seem to be deep in thought, cous. Missing a certain raven-haired, emerald-eyed beauty, aka your girlfriend?" I heard Aaron ask me as I heard him and Nikolai approach me.

"When am I not, Aaron? I can't take another day without seeing her." I sighed as I sat up.

"Well, you're in luck, my friend. Your cousin and I found a clue to the travel journal." Nikolai announced.

"What didn it say?"

"Well, it's not so much a clue. It's more we figured out where it's hidden." Aaron began, glancing at Nikolai.

"Okay. Then, where is it?" I was getting nervous since I could tell they were a little nervous telling me.

"........ it's on Berk." Nikolai blurted out finally.

"Berk?!" I asked and they nodded.

"What you're telling me is we need to go to Berk first before we go to Arendelle?" I clarified, my voice rising a little.

And they nodded again.

"So much for going forward, huh?" Aaron tried to make light of the situation, but it was useless.

"Look man. We're really sorry. It just happened to be that way." Nikolai apologized.

"Don't worry. I don't blame you. It's just that, ever since we left Berk we've had pretty rotten luck lately. I'm just thinking about why I'm even surprised." I groaned as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"So.... does that me we go back? Do you think Aunt Valka knows the way?" Aaron asked.

"Yeah. But there's just one problem.... Mom." I raised the concern.

"What about her?" Nikolai asked, and Aaron elbowed him for being so clueless.

Thanks, cous.

"Where have you been the last couple of days, Nik? My mom's alive. If we go home, is she coming with us or do we tell my dad and everyone about it?" My eyes widened in disbelief towards him.

"Oh yeah, right. This isn't just any news, especially to Uncle Stoick." Nikolai finally got it.

"Should we tell Aunt Valka? And wait, what about Elsa?" Aaron asked.

He has a good point about the second question. We did tell Elsa that going to her kingdom instead of our island was quicker. But, due to circumstances, the quickest way is both the right and long way to get there. I just hope she understands.

"For Elsa, we can take her with us. I'm sure she'll understand. I hope. As for Mom..... well..... we tell her but what happens next is entirely up to her." I just said.

"Yeah, good idea." Aaron agreed.

"How about we tell Elsa first? From the two choices, telling Elsa is a lot easier since we know the possible outcome. Then, we tell your mom. Makes it easier to tell her that way." Nilolai suggested.

And it was a pretty good idea. Frankly, it was the only idea we have.

"Okay then, we tell Elsa. Then we tell Mom." I agreed.

And we planned to do it at dinner tonight. Making the rest of the day drag like a sea slug on a deserted island.

Great. Note the sarcasm.

You can imagine our relief when Mom called us for dinner. On the way to the hut, we pulled Elsa into a corner where she can't hear us.

"Uh, guys. What's going on? It's dinnertime." She asked us, confused.

"We have something to tell you." I began, glancing at Nik and Ron.

"What?"

"It's about the travel journal." Aaron continued.

"Did you find it?" Her eyes were eager to know.

And we had no choice but to tell her.

"We did. Unfortunately..... it's in Hiccup's Home Island....... which is where we came from before we landed here." Nikolai broke to her gently.

And it was like a big gust of wind knocked her back a few steps.

"Wait, what? Hiccup's home island?"

"Yes. The Isle of Berk. It's where Nikolai's father's journal is hidden. Apparently the chief, aka Hiccup's father and my blood-uncle, hid all the travel journals since it was in his care that they were safer." Aaron explained to her.

"So, what you're saying is we go back to Berk to get the journal which will lead us to Arendelle from there. Only then can we get to Ahtohallan?" She clarified, and we nodded.

"Okay. Definitely unexpected. But, understandable. I'm in."

Nikolai was right. Talking to Elsa about it first was easier. She didn't need much to convince her. All it took were the facts and a clear grasp of the situation for her to agree. I can tell she's a pretty brainy and wise person. And that the two of us will get along just fine.

Back to topic, though. It's one less news to break. And I honestly feel much better.

"Great. That just leaves Mom." I said.

"I'm sure she'll come with us. Right?"

We just looked at her, unsure.

"What? Why? Won't she?" She asked, confused.

And we told her the history of my mother and Berk. Well, the watered down version sincd it's almost dinner and Mom might be looking for us.

"Oh. That makes it.... a little complicated." She commented after we told her.

You think?

"Well, either way you three have to tell her. She needs to know. It's her home too as much as yours." She pointed out to us.

"We will. We just don't know how." Aaron said.

"There's now right way of telling it unless you actually tell her." She advised us.

She was right, of course.

"Don't worry, we'll tell her. Let's just get through to dinner first. What we're gonna tell her will definitely ruin her appetite, as well as ours. And I am starving." Nikolai told us, and we agreed.

And we walked back to Mom's but together in silence, trying to think of a way to break the news to her.