Chapter 38

=Jack=

I'm in a castle. A castle made of ice. It's the same castle where I saw her sing for the first time. Her voice was a powerhouse of magic and rebellion as it echoed against the clear walls of ice. It was pretty hard to forget. But, it was different this time -it was empty.

The ice castle was still as beautiful and flawless as ever. Each detail more intricate and refined that I was envious of the power that it took to make it. The castle glowed with a natural and magical light -as if the ice itself was glowing. I could see my reflection from every smooth and glassy surface in this humongous ballroom. And I was all alone.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice echoing across the ballroom, clearly indicating that I was really alone.

Weird, I thought for sure she would be here. It is her castle after all.

I took a look around. Maybe she's here, somewhere in the castle. I climbed up the stairs, since I can't fly here. It was a pretty long way up. At the top of the staircase, there was another flight of stairs. So I went up.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps -like heels clicking on the ice. It wasn't me. I was barefoot. I was halfway up the stairs when I heard it. I took a quick look around before I went on up to wherever the stairs lead to.

The footsteps were pretty close though. It sounded a lot like someone was going up the stairs, too. I looked behind me and saw no one. Weirder and Weirder.

I just kept on walking up and up. It was a long way up, until I finally made it.

When I peeked into the room,I finally saw who I was looking for. It's her. She was wearing this beautiful white dress and her soft and long platinum blonde hair fell freely down her back. She looked even more beautiful seeing her there than in her memories that I have visions of.

She turned to face me. And the second we made eye contact....

I woke up.

I gasped as I felt my eyes open and bolt right up from my spot on the windowsill of my room.

What is wrong with me? Why do I tend to fall asleep so much these days? I don't even feel tired. I've never felt sleepy since I became Jack Frost before. And yet I keep falling asleep every night, having dreams, and not knowing about it until I actually wake up.

I turned to my right and saw Heather and her family still fast asleep. The elves brought them new and warm clothes to change into last night to make them more comfortable during their stay here. Needless to say, they were. Heather even told me it was like wearing a comfortable bed that you'd sleep in anywhere you are.

I got news from North that the other guardians would come by some time next week. They said that they were pretty busy.

Bunny still had clean-up from the last Easter and pre-planning for next year's Easter this week. Tooth had a full schedule this week too since Ice Cream and other cold sweets are at a spike this time of summer, hence toothaches and falling teeth. Her earliest vacant will be next week, and Bunny and Sandy are relying on that particular day to be able to come.

Sandy.... well. He's always busy. He's on double duty- spreading dreams and keeping a look out for any sign of Pitch's Nightmare sand at night. He's hoping to catch a break with Tooth and Bunny in Tooth's earliest free day. Think the little guy is getting a little antsy.

Though, I'm not really sure how an ancient magical river filled with answers is an ideal vacation spot for them, I'm sure they'll appreciate the break.

Now, back to my current dilemma. I gotta go see North about my sleeping problem.

=====================

"How many times has this happened?" North asked me.

We were in his office, privately talking about why I suddenly began falling asleep as soon as night rolls in.

"Ever since I passed out from singing a few days ago. I don't really count it, but I remember when it started." I told him, honestly.

No use in lying since this is a pretty big problem for me. And for him, too. Guaridans don't sleep, ever. We're immortal spirits that protect the most important aspects of childhood. There is no room for beauty sleep or even a short nap.

"And what have you been dreaming?"

"From what I can tell, it's the keeper of the River of Memories -the Fifth Spirit of Nature. The one you told me about before I left." I replied.

And North fell silent, which worried me a little.

"What?" I asked him.

"What about her have you been dreaming?" He asked after a beat of silence.

"Her memories, mostly. I pretty much saw her whole life before my eyes. There were even glimpses and flashes some times in the day where I see little snipets of her personality and her family."

"What does it even mean?" I asked, frustrated on why I can't get an answer on why this is happening to me.

"I will be honest with you Jackie, I don't know. Your problem is the first of its kind among guardians. Then again, it could be tied to your quest to the River of Memories." He offered.

"The dreams, I get. But, falling asleep? Why is it happening to me? I haven't fallen asleep once in 300 years. Until a few days ago. I mean, I passed out. Yes. But, falling asleep like a living mortal being that requires rest when I don't even need it, what's up with that?" I ranted, getting more and more frustrated.

"I'm sorry, Jack. But, there's nothing I can do. Maybe Man in Moon can help." He suggested.

"I doubt that. He'll probably say that it's part of my quest and I shouldn't worry about it too much or something like that." I scoffed, which he silently agreed to.

This wasn't really much help. And I am freaking out inside because this is happening to me. North can't figure it out, and it's ticking me off. I need some air.

"I'll be at the stables with Iceblade for a while. If they look for me, just tell them where I am. I'll see you later." I told North before I walked out of his office and went to the stables, not even bothering to glance at him.

Maybe a quick flight with Iceblade around the Pole will help clear my head.