Chapter 30

=Jack=

"Do I know you from somewhere?" She and I asked at the same time, by accident.

"Wait, you can see me?" I found myself asking her right away.

I had to be sure. I'm only seen by kids, not adults and teens transitioning into adulthood.

"What do you mean 'I can see you?'? Of course I can see you you're a person." She just said to me, confused.

"Yeah.... about that...." I flinched before I let the breeze lift me off the ground.

For added effect, I made snowflakes dance in the air. And, if possible, their jaws dropped to the ground. I set my feet back on the grass after it was enough, and I felt Iceblade nuzzle me from behind. I stroked his head before I turned to her again.

"To put it simply, I'm the Winter Spirit Jack Frost. And adults and teenagers don't really see me, only kids do. Since I am a Guardian of Childhood, they are the only ones who can see me. After a certain age, they don't see me anymore." I ended up explaining.

"Wait, what?" The bulky guy with a beard and a scar on his face asked, seemingly more confused than before.

"Somehow, I believe you. I don't know how, but I do. It's because you feel so familiar to me..." The girl spoke up.

"... and yet you can't recognize me. Believe me, it's the same for me right now with you." I said to her.

"Well, nice to meet you Jack. I'm Heather." She introduced herself, extending her hand out to me which I accepted and shook.

"Nice to meet you, too. Heather."

"And this my brother, Dagur," She gestured to the guy with a scar on his face, "Skylar," she gestured to the one with the deep blue eyes, "And my mom, Helga." She pointed to an older woman who looks like her.

"Nice to meet you all." I waved to them.

"What brings you here?" She asked me as we began walking around the place.

"They brought me here. I asked them if they knew someone or somewhere that I could ask or look for directions to get to the North Pole. I was on my way to the River of Memories when a storm knocked me off course. Luckily they saved me." I told her, gesturing to the three dragons behind me.

"No way! Us too. And, that's odd because Razorwhips aren't usually so friendly when they first interact with people- spirits included." She said to me.

"Razorwhips?" I asked, confused.

"The species of your dragons. That's what they're called."

Makes sense. The names suits them. Razor-sharp body and fast like a whip.

"Well, we can help show you where north is. But, maybe you can take off tomorrow. A storm is rolling in." Heather's mother, Helga from what I heard, told me.

"Good idea. After what happened last time, I am more than happy to stay put for a while." I said as we kept walking while I stroked Iceblade's head.

"So, why were you headed to the River of Memories?" Heather asked me once we were alone.

Her brother, friend and mother peeled off from us towards a group of dragons that looked like were fighting. Which is good that they left is out because the scene is pretty brutal.

"You might think I'm crazy." I veered away, because who would believe a guy hearing angels in his head?

"Believe me, I wouldn't. Especially since my gut is telling me that we're going there for probably the same reason." Her words surprised me.

Does she mean that she heard them, too?

"And I sang on top of my lungs on a ledge made of ice, heard thunder and lightning coms from the northeast, passed out cold a few seconds later, woke up after a few days and was told to go to the River of Memories for answers." She said.

"Did I say that out loud?" I asked her sheepishly, and she nodded giggling.

"So all that happened to you, too?" I had to know.

"Yes, it did. It also happened to my boyfriend, Hiccup." She told me.

"Wait, boyfriend?" I asked and she nodded.

Then, I remembered something -a vision of a face I previously had. I had to take the chance.

"He wouldn't happen to have green eyes and auburn hair, now would he?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?" Her eyes shone with confusion, and believe me I am as well.

"His face appeared in my mind out of nowhere one day. And when you said your boyfriend experienced the same thing we did, I had a hunch." I said to her.

"How did you know it happened to him?" I asked as we sat down on the grass after walking for who knows how long.

"We were separated when it happened. I was attending my brother's engagement party on another island with his dad, the chief. My dad resurfaced there after years of disappeearing, and I just had to come. I was missing from my family ever since I was little, and decided it was time to come home. Since our dads were good friends, he had to attend. Meanwhile he was back home, running the village in his father's place as the future chief. Our fathers and friends have been exchanging messages since we passed out. And the village healer of Hiccup's island advised both of us to go to the River of Memories and meet there for answers." She told me, which was a lot.

Wow.....

"And.... what about the choir of angels in your heads?" I blurted out, asking.

"We were together in his cousin's island when it happened. We were supposed tl figure it out together, but clearly fate had other plans." She answered.

"I think he's already there waiting for me if he managed to get past the storm. Knowing him, he probably did. But, I can't go because of another storm. Like they say, better late than ever." She sighed, clearly missing him.

Speaking of him, there's another one of us who experienced these things. I can feel it, and I bet my staff it's the beautiful ethereal goddess I've been seeing her face for days. Unfortunately I don't know who or where she is -not even a name. I only know her face, and I've memorized every detail of it.

I debated on whether I should mention it to her, but after replaying today's series of events, it's better I put it off until tomorrow.

"It's getting dark, you two. We should probably get some rest. Especially you, Jack, if you're setting off for North tomorrow." Helga said as she and the two other guys flew by us on their dragons.

Heather and I followed on ours towards a small cave that was fully furnished inside. They offered a bed for me, but I declined saying spirits like me don't really sleep. I was thankful that they didn't push and went to sleep.

I just sat on a ledge and watched the garden move with life, even at night. I didn't even know I was tired until I felt myself falling asleep and began dreaming of her again.

She was singing in an ice castle, looking like, for the first time, she can breath. Her dress transformed from royal robes into a dress of pure winter perfection. Then it changed, and suddenly I began seeing glimpses of her past. But still, no name to place on such a beautiful face.