Chapter 35

=Hiccup=

It was dinner time. We were around the firr, eating dinner. And Mom began walking away, looking like she's seen a ghost. And we don't blame her.

When we arrived earlier, we gave it a few minutes before we gently broke the news to her. It went something like this.

"Mom, there's something we need to tell you." I began.

We were all gathered around the fire, halfway through dinner when I decided to break the silence. And it made Aaron, Nikolai and Elsa stop eating, which actually made me nervous.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Well, it's good news and bad news." Aaron continued as he elbowed Nikolai to tell her.

"The good news is we found where the journal was. I brought with me my notes on my search for my father's lost travel journal in hopes that where we were going could shed some light on where it could be. And with some help from Aaron and a few of the dragons here, we figured it out." Nikolai began.

"Well, that's great news. Where is it?" Mom said.

"That's the bad news. Aunt Valka, the journal is in Berk." He broke out, slightly flinching.

"What?" My mom asked, clearly shocked.

"Based on what we've pieced together earlier, all the clues point towards Berk, and the possibility that either Uncle Stoick or Gobber was the one who took it before our dads took on their roles as chiefs." Aaron explained.

"In order to know for sure...... we need to go back to Berk and ask them about it." Nikolai continued.

"And.... we were hoping that you will come with us." I finished.

Well, my statement was mostly for me anyway. I thought it was the perfect time for Mom to come home. But, after I said it I was starting to regret it.

Elsa has been silent the entire time. I could tell she wants to say something, but doesn't know what. Understandable.

Can't say the same about my mom. She has been pin-droppingly silent the entire time the three of us were talking. Until she stood up, set her dinner aside and walked away while saying,

"I need some air. I'm gonna take a walk."

Which brings us to now. The four of us are gathered around the fire, dinners finished and just sitting there in silence while waiting for my mom to get back from her walk. Staring at the fire, doing nothing but waiting.

I was getting restless. I need to talk to her. I need to see if she's okay. I mean, like I said what we told her isn't something you just bring up at dinner. I can only imagine how hard it is for her to deal with. After all, she's been away from Berk for 18 years. Above that, I can't seem to imagine what my father would say or how he would react, now that I think about it. And I bet she can't too.

So when I stood up and decided to follow her, I received no protest. Which I didn't really cared for, but appreciated nonetheless. I am her son.

It didn't take long for me to find her. She was on a cliff, staring at the Bewilderbeast. I didn't say anything but just sat right next to her and watched the great king get ready for the night with her.

"I figured you'd wait a bit before following me out here." She said after a while.

"How's that?"

"Your father would do the same thing. Not just with me, but with everyone on Berk. He'd always give them some time to cool down, process and absorb before talking to them. Better yet, approach them." She told me.