Thirty-Six

Vonte Pov

I didn't drive so Gabby was gonna bring me back home. The ride home was very silent. I didn't say a word. It's like, I knew I wasn't shit, but being told I'm not shit, and being told how I'm not shit... that shit hits different. And I never expected it from my own blood. 'From this day forward you're not my twin, you're not my blood, you're just a nigga who lives in my house and has my face.'  The painful sentence made my ears ring as it kept replaying in my head. Like, how long has he felt this way. Was I really that much of a terrible brother ? am I the root of all his pain ? Is this all my fault ? 'Vonte stop, you're making it about you.' I said to myself. I sighed. "Vonte, we're here." Gabby said. I looked at my house. Flashes started flooding my head. I took a deep breath. "I don't think I can spend the night here." I said. "Especially not alone." I mumbled. "I wasn't planning on letting you. I brought you here to get some clothes. CJ is too small so you can't wear his clothes." CJ is her 15 year old brother, although that lil nigga look fucking 18. I nodded.

Once I hopped out the car I looked back at her. "Can you come in with me ? there's something I need help doing first." I said. She nodded and turned the car off, hopping out. Once inside I went up to Vinnie's room. I heard Gabby gasp as she walked in and stopped in her tracks, taking in the scene of the room. I looked back at her as she and tried to act normal. "It's okay to be surprised. I was too. I was scared, nervous, worried, all of it. Come in, watch ya step." She slowly entered the extremely damaged room, watching her steps for shards of glass. "Wait right here." I said. I walked to the supply closet in the hall and grabbed 2 brooms, 2 dust pans, and the garbage can. I brought it back to the room. "What you tryna do ?" she said. "I wanna renovate and clean the room so when Vinnie comes home, he doesn't need to be reminded of what happened when he was last in here." I began sweeping. I felt her staring at me. "You gon keep looking at me or help me out ma." I said.

She giggled a little. "I can't help it, you look sexy when you hurting." I chuckled a little. In this dark ass hour, she's making me smile. That's why I can always count on her. "It's not good that you're hurting though. Although I love this side of you. After everything Vinnie said tonight, words that can break a bond forever, he's still your top priority." She said. I stopped sweeping and looked at her. "That's because he's always been my top priority. No matter what Vinnie says, it's just words. He can wash his blood and he'll still share my DNA. Just because he gave up on me, don't mean I'll ever give up on him." I said. I then went back to sweeping. We were cleaning in silence for a while. We basically got the whole room cleaned up nice. All I gotta do now is buy him a new mirror, tv, ps4, and ps4 controllers. I'll buy all that tomorrow, well later today. It's already damn near 3 in the morning. I grabbed a lil back pack and put 2 sets of clothes in it. One to sleep in tonight and an outfit for later. "Okay, I'm ready." I said heading downstairs to Gabby, who was sleeping on the couch. 

I gently shook her. "Come on ma, gimme ya keys. I'll drive." I said picking her up like a baby. She wrapped her legs around my waist and I snaked my arm under her ass to secure her from falling. I shut the lights and locked the door and walked to her car. I placed her in the front passenger seat and reclined it a bit so she can be cozy. Then I put my back pack in the back seat and walked over the driver's seat hopping in. I played soft music in the car as I drove through the city. New York looks different when there's no cars or people on the streets. I took in everything as I drove by it, as 'Right My Wrongs' by Bryson Tiller started playing. I scoffed lowly. "How ironic." I said. pretty soon I was at Gabby's house. "Baby girl wake up, we here." I said poking her lightly. "Mmmm." She said stirring as I poked her. "I can't let you sleep in the car bae, come on." I said. I hopped out and grabbed my bag from the back. I walked over to her side. I opened the door and legit pulled her out the car. She looked at me pouting. Then she reached her arms up.