[63] Pregnant

"Mia Ricci." The nurse calls from the hallway.

I stand up, Mum standing with me and we follow the nurse down the hallway. As we walk she turns and smiles "I'm Nurse Julie, I'll be helping Dr. Young today."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Mia and this is my Mum Alena." I return her smile.

We enter the dark ultrasound room and Nurse Julie turns to us once more. "Alright, Mia take a seat here on the bed for me." Following orders, I sit on the bed as she's request "Have you had an ultrasound before?"

"No." I shake my head

"Okay well, you have nothing at all to be worried about, the worst part is some cold jelly we apply to your stomach." She smiles cheerfully "I'll get you to lie down for me and lift your shirt, I'll get everything ready for the Dr."

I lay down and lift my shirt as Nurse Julie sets everything up. I look over at my Mum and give her a soft smile.

"So this is your first baby I'm assuming?" Nurse Julie asks making conversation

"Yes, my first." I nod "It kind of came as a surprise even though I was trying to fall pregnant, It didn't happen as quickly as I thought it would and then bam, it finally happened."

"Aw" she smiles "The babies Dad couldn't be here today?" She questions

"Uh," I swallow hard "Maybe next time, he had some things." I lie as a sudden rush of guilt rushes over me.

"Alright, well we're all set up so the Doctor will be with you in just a moment." she leaves the room.

A moment later the doctor enters the room. "Hi Mia, I'm Doctor Young." She makes her way over to the ultrasound machine.

Doctor Young asks me a few questions and explains how the ultrasound will work, she said it's not uncommon to not hear the baby's heartbeat just yet as I am only six to seven weeks pregnant and those things usually come at the twelve-week mark, but that she will make sure the baby is okay and doing well to date.

She begins the scan and I watch the screen above me. There really isn't much to the see and then suddenly Dr Young zooms in on a small black almost circle looking space with a tiny lighter colored circle in the middle.

"That's your little baby" she smiles "As you can see at the moment he or she is only the size of a pea, but they look to be doing well." she smiles

"Oh my gosh, Mum look" I smile at the tv, a tear sliding down my cheek

"I see baby girl" she smiles over at me "I remember laying right here looking at you like that on that screen." she gives me a warm smile

"Its exciting isn't it." the Doctor smiles and takes some photos of the screen "I'll have these printed before you leave and you can take them home with you."

"Thank-you." I smile

"No problem, now I'll just run a few more checks and you'll be right to be on your way."

...

Enzo's POV:

Finishing my lunch I stand up and make my way over to the bin, I lift the lid and throw my empty container in, then tie up the liner and pull it out from the bin. I carry it outside and place it in the large rubbish bin ready for collection, then make my way back inside.

As I step into the kitchen once more a notice an envelope on the floor with my name on it in Mia's handwriting. I make my way over and pick it up, opening it and pulling out the letter and begin reading it in my head.