07 Her Offer

Kiran Lin

Mas nagulat ako sa sunod niyang sinabi.

"Can I treat you to something? Gusto ko lang magpasalamat ng maayos. Napakasarap rin ng Blueberry cheese cake na binigay mo. Mukhang hindi sapat ang Latte para sa tulong mo kahapon." aniya. Nilikom ko ang lahat ng lakas ng loob ko. "Sorry, I'm not free tonight."

I expected a certain expression from her face, and it wasn't her smile. The heck, she just smiled. A relieved one.

"Why are you smiling?" hindi ko maiwasang itanong. Hindi ko talaga mabasa ang takbo ng isip niya.

"Nothing. By the way, if you're not free for tonight, then just tell me when you're free. Regular costumer ka dito diba?" Yep, totally unreadable.

"Yes?" patanong kong sabi. I still don't understand her point.

"Ako rin. If you feel lonely while drinking your coffee, you can come to my table." aniya at tinuro ang table na nasa gilid lang ng malaking bintana at nang tignan ko ito, I can say it's a perfect spot for reading.

"Do you like books?" I suddenly asked. Hindi siya sumagot kaya binalik ko ang tingin sa kaniya. Nagulat ako nang makita ang nga mata niya na tila kumikinang habang nakatingin sa akin.

"Definitely!" she cheerfully said. Hindi naman siguro halata. Takte, parang bata.

"Okay." ako. Well i guess when it comes to books, this girl won't back out. I can actually feel her aura hyped up.

"You see, books are so interesting. It's so vast and wide and there's no limit to your imaginations. Actually, when I read, I totally forget about the real life. I get induldged in every book and the best thing that I loved about it is that you can reread every book and still feel the emotions like it's the first time you've read it. " she paused and suddenly, the look in her eyes changed. It was a genuine look. "It's like going back to your memories and feeling the same thing as if it's the present." patuloy niya.

"Well I can say that your love for books is so deep you can even drown." It wasn't meant to be a joke but she laughed anyways. Nakakatawa ba iyon?

"I need to go, and thanks for the coffee." tumayo na ako at papalabas na sana but I stopped midway from opening the door.

I looked back and smiled at her who's still seated on the chair,

"About your offer, I'll think about it."