13 Birthday (1)

Kiran Lin

I woke up early, as usual. I put some bread on the toaster for my breakfast and boiled some water to make my tea.

I was preparing the spread after a while when I heard my dad walking towards the kitchen.

The tension yesterday suddenly came back.

"Good morning dad." I greeted, trying to ease the atmosphere. He ignored me and took my toasted bread, then used the water I boiled to use for himself.

Geez, this old man.

I felt my eyebrow crease and dropped my spoon on the plate.

He didn't say anything so I said, "Dad, you're too obvious when you're angry." He stopped midway from pouring water on his teacup and looked at me dumbfounded.

"Really? I guess this is not my style." Biglang nawala ang tension kanina at gumaan rin ang aura ni Dad.

I really thought we're parting ways later with the same emotions last night.

I smiled at him saying, "You're too old for that." and that's how my morning started.

Naunang umalis si Dad dahil maaga ang klase niya. When I said he's too old, I mean it. He's a retired chef and now he's either guest teaching or giving food critique to new restaurants.

That is why I don't want to use his money. He worked his ass of for many years and now that he's retired, I want him to use it for himself.

I entered the cafe and remembered what I have to do. Putek, paano ko gagawin ang pinapagawa nila?

Bahala na nga.

I went to the locker room and after changing, I did the same rituals.

Customers came and time flew very fast that I didn't notice Yivie when she exit the café. Buti nalang at siniko ako ni Dyen.

Sinabihan ko sila na lalabas na ako at saka dumiretso sa park. They said we'd update each other via messages.

Malapit lang ang park sa cafe kaya nilakad ko iyon.

I saw her on the bench, reading her book while taking a glimpse of the nature. There were kids running around and some teenagers probably dating.

"Hey, why are you here?" I asked, nang makalapit ako sa bench na inuupuan niya, as if hindi ko talaga alam ang dahilan. She closed the book after putting a bookmark on the current page she's reading. Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins.

"What book are you reading?" I asked when she didn't answer. Her face lightened up. Smile plastered her face while looking at the book.

"It's an inspirational book. By the way, I should be asking, why are YOU here? You should be working by now." Dang, how can I answer this? I tried to hide that I was flustered and gladly, I managed to think about something.

"They said I'd better take a fresh air when I told then that my head ached." it's half true though, my head did hurt back there, kakaisip kung paano ko mapapatagal ang pagbalik niya.

"Oh, then you probably should rest." her gaze shifted to being serious and added, "Don't talk to me and just close your eyes, I'll wake you up if you slept longer. I'll stay here and read silently. " she said and was about to open her book again when I held her hand to stop her.

"Why don't we walk around for a while instead?" I said. Taking her offer is dangerous since it would mean that she'll be concious about the time and that I'd have to go back quickly.

"But what about your headache?" Innocence can be traced in her eyes when she looked at me. I chuckled and stood up. "I'll be fine."