Part 1

The twigs didn't stand a chance against the pounding of the paws along the forest path.

Fast and steady, the grey wolf raced along the trail, the strap of the bag in his mouth fraying little by little as he ran.

Darting into the clearing, he stopped so quickly that he stumbled over himself, landing at the feet of a very pissed off blonde.

She taps her foot, her arms folded across her chest, and her brows drawn into a scowl.

"You had a meeting at eleven," she growls, spinning on her heel and walking towards a large house.

The wolf makes a fluid transition into a man, quickly jogging after her as he slips on a pair of shorts.

"Avery, no, stop, please don't ignore me," the man whines, finally catching up to her.

"I had to deal with that insipid bastard for twenty minutes, York. You've skipped two meetings with him this week. You're the alpha, not me," she snarls, shooting him a look that would kill any sane man.

"Ave," he whinges, "you could have been alpha!! If you want to, you still can!"

His attempt to soothe the situation does not go down well, with Avery spinning around and wrapping her hand around his throat.

York pries her fingers off with ease, rolling his eyes as he walks by her into his office.

"Did anybody else call, or was it just Zephyr?" He asks, glancing over his shoulder and he walked through the room to his attached office.

"Dad. Asking why we're both still single, then apologising to me for being inconsiderate. And Arabella from Blue Bramble called four times for you," Avery lists off, flinging herself into her chair behind her desk.

York stares at her for a second, and then the information seems to process, as he rolls his eyes at her.

"Arabella. I thought I told you to get rid of her?" He sighs, putting a shirt on and putting his glasses onto his nose.

"I did. Then you screwed her again. It's your issue now, little man," she shrugs, sifting through the mountainous pile of pages in front of her.

She ticks another thing off the long list to her right, glancing at York, who looks slightly stressed.

"Well, at least she's not pregnant," Avery shrugs, a sly smirk on her face.

"Avery, fuck off. Don't put thoughts like that into my head," York grumbles, running a hand through his sandy blond hair, opening his laptop reluctantly.

The Wilcott siblings work in relative silence for the rest of the afternoon, with their computers beeping every few minutes.

"Avery," the man at the head of the table starts, and the blonde girl straightens a bit, turning her head to look at him, "how does it feel to be an Unfortunate?"

She stills, feeling her heart clench a bit, as everyone around her turns to the man and starts growling at him.

Avery is containing her anger, but her eyes are flashing black.

Her wolf is trying to surface, and Avery is considering letting her unleash on this pathetic excuse for an Alpha. 

The visiting alpha tenses a bit, and Avery stares him down, her icy blue eyes boring into his pathetic soul.

"Well, it was sad for a while. But then I remembered, I can screw anybody I want and don't have to listen to any man," she smirks, and the man's face takes on an angry red colour.