Part 2

Alpha Zephyr was a pretty man, it had to be said. 

He was strapping, standing a head above most of the pack warriors. He had dark skin, the colour of chocolate, and the most mesmerising eyes that Avery had ever seen. 

But, as always, he had his signature arrogant smirk on his face. He had pissed her off again, before even opening his mouth. 

His eyes landed on Avery, and a smile descended onto his lips, as he walked closer to her with his arms open, going in for a hug. 

She punched him in the throat. 

"Goddess, and I thought you might be happy to see me!" He beams, "The video cameras don't do you justice, Miss Wilcott. You're even more stunning in person."

Avery continues to stare at him, quirking a brow slightly, while York glances at his sister nervously. He really didn't need her starting a pack war, but it wouldn't come to that - Moonstone were a generally calm, peaceful pack.

Well, they were since Zephyr had taken over from his father. 

"Hello, Alpha Zephyr," York grits out, as Avery continues to stare at the man, "to what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?" 

Zephyr smiles - he hasn't stopped - and tilts his head an inch to look at Avery. 

"Your sister said some harsh things on the phone. They were very harsh - but they were true. I'm here to discuss a truce," Zephyr says, straightening his posture and dropping his smile.

The Wilcotts try to hide their surprise, and move to the mindlink. 

What the fuck, York says, schooling his face to a calm expression.

Avery has a pinched face on, and responds with, I told him to suck his own dick, and he said he didn't like me speaking like that. I said I didn't like him sacrificing his own pack members.

York nearly chokes, being entirely able to believe his sister said this to an Alpha much more powerful than her. 

"Ah, right. I suppose we'd better invite you in, then." York finally states after two tense minutes, offering his hand to Zephyr, who's more interested in Avery. 

Zephyr takes Avery's hand from her side, and drops it after a few seconds, a disappointed look on his face. 

"I didn't believe them, you know," the tall man says, as he and Avery bring up the back of the group moving towards the house.

He can feel her confused gaze on the side of his face, so he continues quickly.

"I didn't believe them when they said you were an Unfortunate. I see the brand now, and I'm sorry," he says softly, patting her shoulder.

Avery remains quiet, surprised by this Alpha's empathy.

They're all usually quite judgemental of her status, so his sympathy - although annoying - was surprising.

"The pity gets old, really fast," she chuckles, "but thank you. I presume you were coming here hoping I was your mate?" 

He sighs and nods, shaking his head with regret afterwards.

"You would have been a kickass Luna," he compliments, and she flushes.

"If it isn't meant to be, it isn't meant to be," she shrugs, and leads him into the house, with a much better character profile on this man than she had two hours ago.

Avery feels sadness, and can feel the weight of her emotions sitting in her chest.

 After this meeting, she knows that she'll be going back to her room, alone, to cry, or to scream. It's been 6 years since she found out she didn't have a mate, but with every person around her finding theirs, it got harder every day.

 At least she had York, she thought, but she knew that he'd probably find his at the next alpha conference they went to. At least she'd have a new sister then, she reasoned, trying to pep herself up. 

Nobody in her family knew her emotions about this, and everyone tried to act jovial. But they all knew - she'd be alone for the rest of her life, and she'd die alone. The fate of an Unfortunate was worse than that of a wolf who had been rejected. 

If you got rejected, you could move on when you accept the rejection. There was no way to accept dying alone. 

Her aunt, Faye, was an Unfortunate too - it seemed to run in families, although the scientists and doctors said it wasn't genetic. Faye was as happy as she could be, though. She worked with the orphaned kids of the pack, because she said she knew what abandonment was like - the Goddess had abandoned her. 

Avery wasn't the motherly type, so she couldn't exactly do that. She was coarse and aggressive, and although sensitive, she was clumsy with her feelings.

Avery, York, Zephyr, and Richard sit down at the table, with Zephyr on one side, sitting along with his guards standing behind him - although Avery doubted he needed those guards, especially by the looks of his arms. 

She blinked forcefully, making herself pay attention. York looked at her for a second, linking her privately.

You okay? You look upset, did he say something to you?,  He whispers through their link, his wolf nudging hers.

I'm fine. He said he was sorry. Shut up and let's get this over with, she responds, her face becoming a scowl. 

York's face softens a bit - it would have been a lot more convenient for everyone if he had been the mateless one.

"So, Zephyr, what made you want a truce?" York asks, opening his notepad and clearing his throat.

The other man leans on the table, clasping his hands with a smile.

"Your pack is good. It's strong. And I like your allies." He states, leaning back afterwards.
York sits there for a second, and then nods, shrugging his shoulders.

"I guess we'll let the council know tomorrow then. We appreciate your visit, and I hope we can continue this conversation over the phone. We will need to discuss the finer points of our agreement, but I think that can be sorted later on," York smiles, and passes the page in front of him across the table to Zephyr.

Zephyr scrawls his signature down, and passed it back across the table.

"I'll see myself out," he nods, and the two men shake hands.

Avery is impressed - the two men who had ignored each other more or less for two years had finally spoken.

Avery stands up to follow Zephyr out, but as she goes, York grabs her arm and turns her towards him. 

"I did that for you, you know," he mumbles, "he's 22 and has no mate yet." 

Avery stares at him for a minute, and then shakes him off, rolling her eyes.

Quickly walking after Zephyr, she catches up with ease. 

"I'm sorry to hear about your lack of mate," Avery gently says, patting him on the back. 

He shrugs, walking along beside her as he heads back to his pack boundary. "I'm sick of the pity, too." 

They stroll in relative silence, and the part ways at the boundary, both shifting into wolf form.