Part 51

Avery stands up, her face going white.

Her legs are numb, and her entire body is trembling as she moves.

She feels like she's going to faint.

"What do you mean?" She asks, trying to keep her tone level, but she fails, her voice rising as she reaches the end of her question.

What the fuck did he just say, Sonya snarls, and Avery is struggling to keep her in.

"Do you think this is all some sort of joke?" Avery snarls, her eyes flashing rapidly as she begins pacing the room.

She's trying and failing to calm herself down, her canines descending and her bones beginning to crack as they prepare to shift.

Roman stays silent, which is possibly the worst thing he could do.

"Has this all been a funny little play-pretend game to you?" She growls, her face slowly shifting, her bone structure changing quickly.

"It was never a joke," he murmurs, standing up and running both hands through his hair.

If we're lucky, at this rate of running his hands through his hair, he'll go bald, Sonya grumbles.

Baldness will be a blessing when I get my hands on him, Avery responds sadistically.

"Then what was it, please, tell me," she roars at him, her spine cracking.

She's livid, and her face is red with anger.

Avery barely has a hold on Sonya. Her wolf is trying to surge forward to force a shift, and Avery is clenching every bone and muscle in her body to prevent it because she has no idea what Sonya will try.

"I just didn't tell you the whole truth," he snaps, his defensive side coming out.

Sonya doesn't like this.

She forces Avery down, and she turns to Roman angrily.

"No, Roman, you didn't tell us any of the truth," she snarls, her tone far more guttural than usual.

Her wolf has almost entirely taken over.

"Was it all a lie?" She asks quietly, her tone full of potential for anger.

Roman stays quiet, and Avery storms up the stairs, at a total loss for words.

She and Sonya need time to calm down, and she closes her bedroom door as soon as she reaches the room, sinking down along the all and putting her head into her hands.

"What the hell is going on," she whispers, shaking her head and staring at her wooden floors.

You need to finish that conversation, Sonya urges, and she grimaces at the thought of it,

She knows she has to, but she feels extremely betrayed by his lies.

So much could have been prevented if he hadn't lied.

If his mate isn't dead - or, he didn't have one, as he claimed - then how is he not an Unfortunate?

Avery leaps to her feet, her anger levels rising yet again.

She flies down the stairs, her silent movements allowing her to appear directly behind Roman.

She uses her claws to rip his shirt open from the back, running her hands over his shoulder blades.

"What are you?" She growls, squinting at his skin.

He removes her hands from his body, glaring down at her.