Part 41

The tarmac is full of people when the plane lands, and York is immediately taken off the aircraft and carted into an ambulance, which speeds off quickly.

He mumbled some other words while they were on the plane, but nothing of note, and nothing useful that would indicate any idea of what happened to him.

As soon as Avery gets off the plane, she curses, her face paling immediately.

One of the guards turns to her in fear, nodding his head to ask what was wrong.

"We forgot my dad," she groans, and the guard also pales.

She pulls her phone out, ringing her mum nervously.

Before Marie can speak once she answers, Avery blurts out what she has to say.

"Mum, we left dad, he wanted to run, and I forgot to tell him we were leaving early because we needed to get York home," she hurries, and Marie is silent.

She's now concerned about her mate as well as her child, but she is ultimately more worried about her son.

"Ring him and let him know so that he isn't just sitting around waiting for you guys," her mum finally responds, and Avery rubs her face, climbing into a car with three of her guards.

"Okay, I'm so sorry," Avery mumbles, and her mother sighs.

"It was more important to get your brother home than to worry about your father. He's a grown man, he can figure it out himself," Marie reprimands, and Avery stays silent.

"Okay, I love you, and I'll see you when I get home," Avery nods finally, and the two end the call at the same time.

The guards fill the vehicle with luggage, and one of the chattier ones sits in the back with her.

"How's your brother?" He asks, and Avery shrugs.

"Not sure, we'll find out soon. Keep it to yourself, you guys. My mum will no doubt brief you, but with York incapacitated, I'm the acting Alpha. I won't command you, because I trust you all," Avery states, and the three guards exchange nervous looks.

"Should we bring an extra guard with us, Alpha?" One of them asks, and Avery doesn't respond for a second because she forgot the title of Alpha would be what they called her.

She feels power briefly spark in her body at the title, and she straightens up.

"No. We need to get back to the back as soon as possible; I have to alert the other Alphas to be on the watch for whatever this is. We don't know if York was a target or a victim of opportunity," she grimaces, and the guards all nod.

The car takes off down the road, and Avery sighs, closing her eyes before she mindlinks her father.

We really screwed this one up, Sonya mutters, and Avery is inclined to agree.

Dad?, She asks furtively, and she gets a flood of happy emotions from him.

Hello, dear, is everything okay?, he sends back, and she can hear the delight in his voice at hearing hers.

She cringes, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news.

York is really ill. We're back home already, we totally forgot about you in our rush to get to the airport quickly, I'm so sorry, Avery groans, and Richard doesn't respond for a moment.

Okay, I'll figure out a way home. I think some of your friends are still here. I'll catch a lift with them, he reassures his daughter, his tone calm.