Bonus Chapter #1

It feels like everyone Avery has ever known is staring up at her intently.

She can feel sweat building up on the back of her neck, and she tugs gently at the silk scarf hanging around her neck as she glances up at Roman.

"You're probably wondering why we called this pack meeting," Roman begins, and looks down at Avery.

He raises an eyebrow at her.

Are you going to continue, or do I have to keep talking?, he asks urgently, and Avery has to hold back a smile.

She likes knowing that he's just as nervous as she is, because he doesn't usually express much emotion, especially in front of either of their packs.

Both packs together?

Forget it.

I might faint if I try to talk, she responds, and she isn't lying.

Sonya has gone radio silent out of absolute fear, and Avery herself feels ridiculously light-headed.

You can face down packs of rogues and vampires, but a speech makes you crap yourself? Really?, Avery grumbles to a slightly miffed Sonya.

Those rogues aren't expecting me to make a speech about pack laws or a peace alliance. They want to kill me, so I return the favour, Sonya growls back, pacing.

Avery straightens her back, grounding herself.

Roman has his palm splayed across her lower back, and that contact is helping to relax her.

Sonya isn't done, though.

You couldn't have chosen a colder day, could you? We are in a sleeveless dress, and may I just say, if it weren't for me, you would be positively hypothermic. This is ridiculous, hurry up and make the announcement before I freeze to death, for the Goddesses sake, she hisses.

Avery grimaces and closes her eyes for a moment, focusing on steadying her breathing and trying to act like there aren't thousands of eyes staring at her.

She knows that this is being broadcasted across their packs, too, so in reality, it's probably a lot more than a few thousand watching it.

The children in schools are taking a break to watch the announcement, and all pack businesses that aren't essential have been suspended for the day.

Nobody could figure out why, and they did try to guess.

Apparently, according to Hayden and Byron, some of the warriors have a betting pool.

She can almost guarantee this wasn't a possibility in their little pool, because it wasn't a possibility in her mind nine months ago.

Avery clears her throat, shaking her hair back from her face and clasping her hands for a second to try and warm them up.

"There have been numerous questions raised about the future of this pack," she begins, and Roman nods encouragingly.

That was a good start! Don't mention heirs, though, or they'll think you're already pregnant or something, he commentates.

"I would like to start by thanking each and every single one of you for your continued support over the past six months, especially in the days leading up to my trial. You are an amazing pack, and I am blessed to have you be mine," she announces, and Roman frowns slightly.

It sounds like you're quitting, Roman warns her.

Judging by the startled and anxious faces he can see in the crowd, some of the pack members, particularly hers, are thinking the same.