Part 48

"We're going to go see York," Marie says after a moment of silence before she drags a gawking Louisa out of the hallway.

"I'll be in the main office," Richard scowls, slamming his shoulder into Roman's as he walks out of the house.

Avery stares at Roman in silence, before she turns her back on him and storms into the kitchen.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Avery snarls, slamming a glass down on the counter and pouring some iced coffee into it.

"Look, I'm here to explain," he protests, and she grits her teeth, spinning around with a can of whipped cream in her hand.

"No, you don't get to explain. Hanging up a phone generally means that the conversation is over. It doesn't mean you run here," Avery scowls, turning back around and putting some cream on top of her coffee.

"No," Roman sighs, grabbing Avery's shoulders and turning her around.

"I want to talk to you, properly," he firmly says, and Avery raises a brow.

"Yeah. I can't talk to you if you don't put some clothes on," she shrugs, breezing by him with her coffee in hand.

"What clothes do you suggest I put on?" He grumbles, and she sighs.

"Goddess, do I have to do all of the work?" She mutters, pointing to a box clearly marked 'clothes' sitting in the corner of her home office. 

He mutters something that Sonya doesn't care to listen to. 

While she settles herself in her seat, she holds her coffee in both hands and observes his muscular back and glistening tan skin.

He is so hot, but he's such a dickhead, Sonya sighs, and Avery absently nods her head.

Once he dons a pair of shorts and a shirt, he turns to her, catching her staring.

"You see something you like?" He smirks, and she glares at him.

"I'm not seeing much," she shrugs, opening her laptop and sweeping her curls over her shoulder.

"I like that lipstick," he comments, and she raises a brow.

"It would look better on my chest, though," he adds, and she rolls her eyes.

"There it is. I was wondering where that wit was hiding, that sheer charm that no doubt drags in all of the girls," she sarcastically responds, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Say what you want to say first because I want to have a serious conversation about your new policies and what we can do about Elijah Preston," she firmly states, crossing her legs and getting settles as she puts a blanket over her legs.

"It's gonna be hard to talk to you about those issues when you look like you do right now," he breathes, and her eyes widen slightly before she purses her lips.

"Don't be such a prick," she scoffs, and he raises a brow.

"Don't be such a prude," he retorts, and she glares at him. 

They sit in silence for a moment, the room awkward. 

Roman looks around the room, wrinkling his nose up.

"This office is so not you," he sighs, rolling his eyes.

"And what is 'so me'?" She asks sarcastically, her fingers making mocking air quotes in his direction.

"You like decorations, little ones. Trinkets, ornaments. And you have pictures in the other office," he comments, and Avery shifts uncomfortably.

"And?" Avery shrugs, putting her glasses back on her face.