Part 64

The next morning is busy.

Avery has induction ceremonies to organise, transfers to sort out, and the problem of the Council to try and untangle.

And Scott Petty was supposed to come and stay for a few days.

She had forgotten about that fact with all of the excitement around York and the others.

She was woken up at 7 am by an excited Toby who was curious about where he was.

Hayden appeared not long after his son, looking disgruntled and confused.

He walks into Avery's room to see his son passed out on the bed beside Avery, her arm around his shoulders and his hands around her arm holding onto her.

He smiles at the sight, and then he clears his throat, looking at the time.

Both of them open their eyes and stare at him in worry.

"It's time to get ready to go," Hayden rolls his eyes, holding his arms out for Toby to clamber into.

The boy is a little slower in movement than he should be, but Avery knows that some physiotherapy will help with that over time.

"Are you excited to see the doctor?" Hayden asks, swinging Toby around carefully.

Avery sits up reluctantly against her pillows, scraping her hair into a messy ponytail as she tries to wake up properly.

A glance at her clock tells her that she and Toby fell back asleep for around an hour.

Alphas have a natural nurturing side, it's essential to keep their bloodlines going - but they are also generally softer when it comes to children as a whole.

Toby immediately knew he could trust Avery simply because his wolf was at complete ease with her.

"Why do I have to go to the doctor?" Toby huffs, looking a little sulky.

"You had a really long nap, and they need to check on you," Avery manages to get out in between stretching like a cat.

Hayden chuckles to himself, resting his son on his hip.

"We're going to get dressed and leave you in peace. We'll get breakfast started, won't we, little man?" He grins, gently tickling his son, who lets out a shriek of laughter.

"Yeah," he cheers once the tickling subsides, and he and Hayden leave the room, closing the door gently behind him.

Avery lays back on her pillows, rubbing her eyes.

That scene felt almost domestic to her, and it made her chest feel a little hollow at the fact she was unlikely to ever have that for herself.

She pushes these thoughts aside quickly.

She's having breakfast cooked for her; she needs to get ready.

Springing from bed after another minute of contemplation, Avery strolls into her bathroom and brushes her teeth while using the toilet, organising her daily list in her head.

Multitasking at its finest, Sonya remarks in slight disgust.

You pee in the forest, shut up, Avery scowls, gargling some mouthwash and turning on the shower.

She spits the mouthwash out and puts her hair into a shower cap, not wanting to get it wet or do anything at all with it.

She hops into the shower, quickly scrubbing herself and letting the scalding hot water wake her up.

Yeah, you're going to look like a tomato if you don't get out, Sonya comments cheekily.

Avery shuts off the link abruptly, finishing her shower and then moisturising her body.