Part 55

"Avery, slow down," Lilith pants, moving as fast as she can through the trees.

"No, we're going to be late," Avery shoots back irritably, grabbing Lilith's hand and pulling her along.

"They're rogues, they don't care much about time," Lilith groans, trying to take her hand back.

She eventually shakes Avery off, just to promptly trip over a bramble.

"I thought you were supposed to be some badass rogue," Avery grumbles, picking Lilith up off the ground.

Lilith stays quiet, pouting a little bit at her friends snub. 

"Are you okay?" Avery asks reluctantly, and Lilith rolls her eyes.

"I'm fine, let's hurry, they won't wait for you to show up for too long," Lilith sighs, resting a hand on her bump as they walk at a more manageable pace.

"I thought you said they didn't care about time?" Avery retorts, raising a brow. 

Lilith stays uncharacteristically quiet.

Avery shoots concerned looks over her shoulder to Lilith every couple of seconds.

This distracts her so much that she gets hit in the face by a low-hanging branch.

"Fuck," Avery groans, rubbing her forehead.

Lilith doubles over laughing, gasping for air as she does, her hands on her knees and her eyes watering from giggling.

"Don't laugh at me, wobbles," Avery grunts, and Lilith grins at her cheekily.

"Well, I guess we've lost the element of surprise," she snorts, and this time, she takes the lead, her shoulders back and chin in the air.

She looks comical to Avery, because her bump is slightly sticking in front of her, and her entire body is unstable as she walks.

"Are we almost there?" Avery asks with a sigh after a couple of more minutes.

Lilith rolls her eyes and shoots her a look.

"Well, at least I'm getting practice parenting," she mutters, and Avery opens her mouth in shock.

"And what do you mean by that, mama bird?" She retorts, and Lilith grins wider.

"Kids are annoying, and so are you. It's a great exercise for my patience," she mocks, leading Avery along a dirt track.

"I'm not the annoying one!" Avery exclaims, "I don't cry every five minutes!"

Lilith lets out a hoot of laughter.

"Yeah, but you lose your temper every two minutes, so I'm just waiting for the mother of all tantrums," she grins, squinting into the distance in front of her, "I'll be perfectly prepared for a stroppy toddler then."

"Oh, shut up," Avery groans, folding her arms and sulking.

"See, you're doing it again," Lilith teases, sniffing the air and then making a sharp turn where she is.

Avery nearly runs into a tree at the sudden change in direction, but she just sighs and follows Lilith, who has far more experience and knowledge of this side of the woods. 

They're just outside of Rapid Rock's pack boundary, searching through the forest for the rogues Lilith ran with.

Avery isn't happy being outside the boundary, but the rogues refused to meet inside it in case it was a trap. 

Lilith trusted these people, so Avery was trying to force herself to do the same.

It wasn't working.