Part 74

Sweeping into her office, Avery makes sure her dress doesn't get caught in the door as it closes.

Hayden playfully wolf whistles, and Mitchell shouts for her to do a twirl.

Avery bashfully obeys, doing a little spin and a mock curtsy.

"What time is Roman landing at?" Hayden asks with a wide grin on his face, putting the file in his hands down.

"I think we have half an hour until he gets here," she beams, taking a seat behind her desk and gently pushing her curled hair behind her shoulders.

"What are your plans today? You were supposed to be going to Moonstone Mountain today, but I'm guessing that's been changed?" Mitchell asks, and Avery shakes her head.

"No, he has business there too, so while he deals with his business, I'm going to spend time with baby Emmett," she grins, and Hayden lets out a low whistle.

"You shouldn't wear that dress for taking care of a baby, they're grubby little creatures," he warns, and she grins wider.

"I have a pair of jeans and a t-shirt in my bag, don't worry," she laughs, opening her laptop and crossing her legs.

Mitch and Hayden exchange a raised eyebrow and a grin, both delighted to see their Alpha so happy.

They had grudgingly accepted Roman after he took them both to the side and explained his intentions to them, even though they didn't need him to.

They didn't care what he said, they only cared about how he treated Avery, and neither of them had any issue with kicking his ass if he hurt her.

"Where's Kathleen?" Avery asks with pursed lips, trying to hold back her frown and scowl.

"She felt a little sick this morning, so I made her stay in bed. The baby is growing a whole bunch right now; she needs a lot of rest," Mitch sighs, looking slightly stressed for a minute.

"You know you have paternity leave and all of that, right?" Avery asks, looking up from her laptop to make eye contact with him.

He opens his mouth and then nods, blinking in realisation.

"You can take some of it before the baby arrives if you need to, I can't imagine how stressful it is," she comments, and Hayden releases a breathy laugh.

"Take the time, man, there's nothing better than spending time with your mate and bonding with the pup before it's born," he grins, his eyes going slightly misty. He's obviously thinking about his mate, and Avery feels her heart squeeze a little for him.

"I might take a week or two. I need to get the nursery ready, Kathleen hasn't even looked at anything for it yet," he mumbles, more to himself than the other two.

Of course she hasn't, she doesn't care, Sonya growls, her mothering instinct rearing its head in defence of her poor, clueless Beta.

"You can take all the time you need, you could even reduce your hours to part-time, and we can get one of the Generals to step in," Avery nods thoughtfully, returning to her laptop screen.

"The Gregory pack has requested a meeting with you next week, they don't care if it's virtual or in-person," Hayden sighs, rolling his eyes as he looks at Avery.

Avery groans aloud, shaking her head.

"What do they want this time?" She sighs, refraining from rubbing her temples - she has a full face of makeup on, and she's not about to destroy it for possibly the weakest pack on the continent.

"I think they want assistance. Honestly, at this point, they should just get rid of the pack and cut their losses," Hayden mutters, grimacing slightly.