Part 62

Avery was so distracted walking into the prison that she bumped into four separate security guards and soldiers.

She hit each of them with a cold glare, and they all immediately apologised, which satisfied her.

They should have moved when they saw her coming, but she wasn't going to hold it against them this time.

She had changed into heels in the car, and the clip-clop of the heels on the tile floor was satisfying.

Flicking some of her hair over her shoulder, she straightens her back and pushes her shoulders back, schooling her face into a stony expression as she leaves the elevator.

Her steady walk down the corridor to the interrogation room encourages her.

This will be okay, Sonya encourages.

What if he doesn't say anything?, Avery asks, slightly panicked.

Then we're just in the same place we are now, relax; we have nothing to lose by going in here, Sonya shrugs, being a voice of reason for once.

Avery knows she's right, and she forces herself to relax.

She's terrified that she could make everything worse somehow - which doesn't make sense at all, because her words can't make York's coma any worse.

She nods to the guards outside of the interrogation room, and then she opens the door, wiping her clammy hands on her trousers.

Avery steps into the room, slowly letting some of her power ooze out.

"Hello, Elijah, how are you today?" She asks the emaciated man who smiles with the few teeth he has left.

Pack members are incredibly protective of their Alpha and the Alpha family, even if they have been punished. Their wolves will quite literally fight to the death in the protection of them, which Avery finds slightly weird - she doesn't want forced loyalty, she wants the pack members to respect her based on her actions.

Preston had been beaten four times in one week a few weeks previous for his comments and threats.

The guards couldn't pry the other prisoners off him on one occasion, and they beat him until he was nearly dead.

He had made a full recovery.

He had also tried a hunger strike after one of the other prisoners threatened to poison his food.

Her pack members, imprisoned or not, didn't take kindly to a rapist.

Avery was a bit shocked that the man in front of her had survived so long.

She had his file with her, and it just grew every day.

The warden was on the phone with her almost every night to inform her about incidents that had happened - fights, hunger strikes, and attempted suicides were just part of the list that sat in front of her.

"I'm alright today, Alpha. I tried to off myself again last night, but I wasn't allowed," he casually comments, shooting a glare in the guard's direction.

"Oh, you want to leave your children without a father?" Avery asks calmly, raising a brow as she stares across the table at him.

"I don't particularly care if I do or not. You've taken me away from them anyway," he sighs, sitting back and crossing his legs.

His white t-shirt and orange trousers hang off his frame.

He looks twenty years older than he did when he arrived, and Avery makes a mental note of that.