Part 11

As the kid advances, her referee clambers up into her post, waving at Avery frantically to beckon her over.

Avery walks over to the girl, leaning down so that she can speak with ease.

"Hello Deputy Alpha, thank you for allowing me to take this position. His name is Marcus, he's 17, and he is training under the Chief Warrior to take his place soon," the girl whispers and then pauses, looking around as if trying to remember something.

 "And my name is Kate," she adds after a moment in the same hushed tone, giving Avery a small, nervous smile.

"Thank you, Kate," Avery gives her a toothy grin before turning around and walking to her corner, watching this Marcus boy.

He looks devious, and Avery takes an instant dislike to him. He whips off his shirt and throws it out of the door of the cage as she did with her sweatshirt.

"Um, no killing, no maiming, no weaponry attacks in this fight. Each round will last four minutes, and there will be three rounds, and whoever can pin the other for more than ten seconds in the majority of matches will win," Kate squeaks, looking extremely worried.

As soon as the girl blows the whistle, Marcus throws himself at Avery, his claws descending from his nails.

Avery kicks him off of her, grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and flinging him into the bars of the cage.

"No partial shifts, or full shifts," she shouts to the crowd, "this is a clean fight."

Marcus quickly stops his partial shift, throwing his shoulders back in an attempt to get Avery off of him.

She lets go, and steps back to her corner calmly, her eyes on him always.

Marcus looks slightly unnerved, before he runs at her, punching where her face would be.

Where her face would be, if she hadn't jumped onto the walls of the cage, climbing along them like a spider, her fingers gripping the bars and gaps.

Marcus snarls, and grabs Avery's leg, trying to pull her down.

Avery drops, kicking him in the jaw, and landing on the ground calmly.

The crowd rustles, all watching in confusion.

Avery isn't attacking this boy, but she's famed for her sudden vicious and merciless fights.

Marcus lands a punch on her cheek, and Avery hisses, not having seen that coming - she was too focused on his footwork.

Kicking his knee backwards, her uppercut hits his nose with a lot of force as he falls to the ground.

He scrambles to get back up, tackling her backwards to the ground.

"Hello darling," she winks, flipping them with ease, and pinning his arms to the ground with her hands, and kneeling on his hips.

The boy tries to kick upwards with his legs, and he bucks, attempting to destabilise her.

"I've ridden more men than you've ever made friends with, you cocky little prick," she snarls in a guttural tone, punching him in the nose.

The whistle blows, and Avery gets off him, dusting herself off with a scowl.

"One point to Deputy Alpha Wilcott, zero to Marcus James," Kate announces over the microphone, looking shocked.

"Never underestimate your opponent," Avery calls down to the crowd, as the second whistle blows after a few seconds.

Marcus waits this time, staying in his corner and watching Avery as she watched him.

This time, Avery walks into the middle, before jumping up and grabbing onto the roof of the cage, looping her fingers onto some of the metal bars.