Part 29

The conference is boring, like they all are.

Avery is shocked by the amount of packs present, as she had expected this to be a small meeting with just a few packs.

The majority of the packs in the country are there, which makes for some mildly awkward conversations when Avery has to greet some of the men she's slept with.

She gets a dirty look or two off some of the Lunas, but she brushes it off with ease, not particularly caring about their opinion of her. If they don't like the fact she slept with their mates - before they had been mated and marked - they had better be blaming their males just as much as they blame her.

The packs are seated in alphabetical order at round tables, and Avery is tugged away with Roman to his spot, much to York's delight.

There could only be two representatives per pack, usually the Alpha and his Luna, but since York was unmated and Avery hadn't been present, he had brought his father.

Hence, Avery was exiled to the Lancaster table.

Her presence drew some confused looks, as most of the Alphas knew her as the Deputy Alpha of Rapid Rock.

One Alpha in particular at the table knew her in more detail and took pleasure in shooting her smug looks when she joined them.

She ignored him, turning her back on him and facing Roman to speak with him about anything that popped into her head.

Alpha Zephyr was sitting with them too, and he noticed the looks being shot at Avery, and so, joined in on the conversation.

Avery is pleased to see somebody she knows well, and she happily engages in conversation with him.

"Any sign of your mate yet?" She asks eagerly, and a massive smile descends onto his face.

She releases a squeal at the sight of it, grabbing his hand and squeezing it in excitement and delight for him.

"How did you find her?!" Avery exclaims, sitting forward in her seat.

"As soon as I left your pack that day, I found her. She was a rogue, for reasons out of her control," he says quietly with a small smile on his face that expands as he speaks of his mate.

"I called your brother and told him, I thought he would have passed on the message," he beams, "I truly think it was because of the conversation we had. I had to accept I may be alone before I could truly appreciate a mate."

Avery is stunned and then smiles.

"I'm like a foster home for you cubs," she teases, "after I deal with you, you go on to find your forever home."

Roman chuckles at that, patting Avery on the shoulder, while Zephyr squeezes her hands back.

"You will find your soulmate, even if they're not a soul-based mate," he states, his tone sounding wise and firm.

Avery is a little surprised, so she just nods silently, appreciating her friendship with this male a lot.

"Where is she today?" She asks with a grin, "I'd love to meet the woman who tamed the beast."

"She's actually just up-" Zephyr is cut off by a familiar face to Avery.

"Oh, stop with this shit. I don't know why you're putting on such a nice act, you bitch," the man sneers, leaning back in his seat and scowling.

"It's not an act, Scott," she responds coldly, staring into his scarred face.

She can see his hackles rising, and she remains calm.