Part 7

The journey is quiet and long, without much chatter in the vehicle.

Avery gets restless after sleeping upright for seven hours, and her phone only amuses her for so long, until she turns to Roman.

"So, how much longer is it going to be until we arrive?" She finally blurts out, her voice breaking the silence, and giving the driver in the front a bit of a fright.

Roman looks up from the files he has open in front of him, and observes her with a mild smile on his face.

"Your brother warned me you don't do well with long car journeys. It should only be another few hours, we're crossing through pack territories instead of the highways," he chuckles, pushing a pair of glasses back up his nose.

I like those, Sonya chirps up in Avery's mind, giving her a bit of a fright too - so the little bitch had decided to come back. Avery liked the glasses too, but she wasn't going to tell him that - his ego seemed big enough.

"How long is a few hours? I need to go to the bathroom," Avery frowns, crossing her arms and slumping back in her seat like a toddler.

"We'll stop at the next gas station, James," Roman announces, returning to his file and ignoring Avery's question.

"So what's your Luna's name? I never had the pleasure of meeting her," Avery sighs, deciding to try make conversation to pass the time. She has files, and her laptop with her, but she's too bored to even think about focusing on pack work.

Everyone in the car - the driver, the three guards, and Roman - stiffen, but Avery doesn't notice, staring out the window at the winding roads surrounded by trees. 

"Max," Roman says shortly, and Avery's eyebrows raise, a little surprised.

"You're gay? I never heard that detail, but it's good to know. Is he okay with me coming to stay? I know my reputation precedes me a little," Avery chuckles drily, remaining unaware of the tension in the car.

Roman fidgets with his pen, correcting some mistakes in front of him, before looking up and turning to Avery to give her his full attention.

"He is a she, and she's dead," he states grimly, his keen eyes watching for any reaction she would give.

Avery turns around slowly, horror painted on her face.

"Oh, I never knew that, I'm really sorry for intruding," she hurriedly gets out, her eyes wide and her hands twisting. 

"So no, she doesn't mind you coming to my pack. And what reputation?" Roman asks curiously, trying to lighten the mood.

Avery stares at him, still in shock and feeling a little horrified. His attempt doesn't work on her, as she regrets opening her big mouth. 

We should have just asked to go for a quick run, I could have sorted out the bladder issue, Sonya cringes, tucking her tail around her snout to cover her eyes at her humans mishap. 

Avery has never agreed with her wolf more on anything.

Twenty minutes pass until they get to the gas station, and those twenty minutes had been passed in a horrified silence.

Avery didn't know what to say, because she didn't want to say she was sorry for his loss - Alphas were rather volatile, and they didn't like pity.

As she walks into the restroom like a ghost, she gets thinking. She was twenty-eight, and she didn't think Roman was much older than her. Thirty, she thinks, maximum. People normally find their mates from about 16, so she would have been 14 when he could have found his mate.