Part 61

Avery had thrown herself into her work.

Baby Emmett had been moved home after a month in intensive care, Lilith and Zephyr's relationship barely hanging on.

The rogues had continued patrolling around Avery's pack, everyone still on the lookout for Kali.

Scott and Avery were in contact every day, and he was heartbroken.

He had no idea she was involved, that much was apparent even before the Council interrogated him with truth serums.

Avery felt huge pity for him.

He had been dealt a terrible hand for him, and Avery had rekindled their friendship in an attempt to show her support.

Hayden and Avery had also grown close, bonding over their relatives being in similar medical states.

Louisa had gone home almost immediately after Lilith had been found.

Apparently, she was shaken by the discovery, and she wanted to spend time with her mate before their pup came.

Avery permitted her leaving, and ended her prison sentence as long as she went to counselling.

Xavier was making her go every day, so Avery let her do whatever else she wanted.

York still had made no improvements, and it annoyed Avery.

She had interrogated Elijah Preston every week for the last two months.

There was no news or leads in anything.

Close to giving up, Avery slams her laptop closed and grits her teeth.

Kathleen looks up from her desk, as does Mitchell, her mate.

"Everything okay?" Her new Beta asks, furrowing his brows.

"Absolutely fine," Avery grumbles, standing up from her seat.

"Where are you going, Ave?" Kathleen asks nervously, biting her lip as she exchanges a look with her mate.

"I'm going to go by the centre, and then I'm going to go by the orphanage," she sighs, running a hand through her hair.

"Drive, it's really warm," Mitchell advises, standing up from his seat and retrieving Avery's blazer for her.

He passes it to her over the desk and gives her a look.

"I'm fine, Mitchell, seriously," she snaps, buttoning her blazer on and storming out of the room in a cloud of frustration.

"She didn't mean to snap," Kathleen says quietly, rubbing her mate's back gently.

Mitchell leans down and kisses his mate on the lips, giving her a small smile.

"I know, she's just upset," he whispers, returning to sitting back down and pulling his laptop closer to him.

The two sit in the room in silence, typing away on their computers, occasionally chatting about the work they're doing.

Avery leans against the wall as soon as she left her office.

She rubs her face and holds her stomach, feeling nauseous as she exits the warm room.

Taking a deep breath, she shakes it off and then walks out of the packhouse, squinting as the sun hits her eyes.

It's midday, and it's the warmest day in weeks, and she instantly regrets leaving.

She gets into her car, blasting the air conditioning as fast as she can.

She feels hollow, and she has no idea what to do - everything has gone downhill, and nothing is coming together.