Part 56

"What the fuck do you mean?" Avery finally asks after a pregnant pause.

"There are two she-wolfs who are carrying children," the girl repeats, and Avery rises from her seat.

"Oh, Avery, Louisa," Lilith exclaims, slapping the table as she puts the pieces together.

Avery raises a brow, sitting back down and staring at the woman in the corner.

She doesn't say anything else, retreating back to her knitting.

"She lost her mate to this," Byron murmurs, "I'd take everything she says with a pinch of salt."

"I can hear you. Being mateless doesn't make me deaf," the woman scoffs, scowling over her half-formed scarf.

Avery tries to cover her chuckle with a cough at this remark, and she quickly shakes her head, forcing herself to focus.

"What do you want us to do though, Wilcott?" The other man asks, and Avery frowns at him.

"Alpha," she simply says, staring at him intensely, and releasing some of her dominance.

The woman with the knitting cringes at the influx of power, Byron blinks rapidly, and Hayden sits where he is.

The other man is the focus of the force, and he bows his head almost immediately.

"Sorry, Alpha, what do you want us to do?" He asks again, his tone far more subdued now.

"I would appreciate your forces being told to leave my land alone unless they'd like to patrol the boundary. I would, of course, reward you in return for your efforts, regardless of which one you chose," she nods, looking around at each of them.

"They need training, but they aren't willing to sacrifice their lives," Byron murmurs to her, and Avery shrugs.

"My boundary is one of the most peaceful on this side of the equator. They're very unlikely to face any harm, and if they do, they'll be treated in our infirmary and hospital," Avery responds calmly, keeping her tone level and her volume moderate.

"What will you do for us?" He asks, and she sits back in her seat.

"Firstly, I can bring your daughter to my hospital. You can visit her on my land whenever you choose. If any of you are in a similar position, with relatives in a coma due to this poison, we can arrange for their transport, too," she nods, clasping her hands in front of her.

There's a stunned silence in the room, and they all look at Avery in confusion.

"Why would you do that?" Rose asks quietly, looking at the floor.

"I can't imagine not being able to see my brother. Plus, if you can't visit them, you can't know they're being helped. I'll leave some forms here when we leave, and if you need somebody brought here, you fill it out," she continues.

"I'll leave a phone number here to ring when the forms are completed, and then we can organise medical transfers," she finishes softly, her tone gentle and caring.

Hayden stands up abruptly, scowling again.

"You can't fix your own brother, so what can you do to six more people?" He asks angrily, and Avery keeps a hold on her temper.

She knows that he's hurting, and he will lash out.

"I can't fix them. I'm not a doctor. But it will give you unlimited access to your injured family member, and that can do a world of good for both of you," she responds, looking at him evenly.

"This is bullshit," he snarls, storming out of the cabin.

Avery watches after him, a frown on her face.