Part 47

Sonya is trying to force as shift as the office door swings open.

Avery turns around, her snout in place of her nose and mouth, and her claws out, ready to attack anybody who goes near her.

"As useless as ever," a red-headed woman sighs, shaking her head as her eyes land on Avery.

Avery forces her shift to stop, and her face reverts back to normal.

"Louisa. I thought you were too busy to come to see your brother," she mutters, her rage still simmering.

"Well, I have to tell Mom and Dad about little junior here," her sister shrugs coldly, holding her stomach as if she's expecting somebody to attack it.

"Cool. Go do that, then," Avery responds, raising a brow.

"I heard about you shacking up with an Alpha. I'm surprised you're here, I expected you to be under him," her sister snipes, and Avery clenches her jaw a little.

"No, unlike you, I care about my family, and I'm where I'm needed," Avery retorts, opening her laptop and ignoring her sister.

Louisa grits her teeth, and then hears footsteps.

A devious smirk comes onto her lips, and she suddenly bursts into tears.

"Mom, Avery called me fat!" She cries, and Avery looks up, startled at the sudden outburst.

"No, I didn't," she sighs when she realises the noise is from her sister.

"Avery, be nice to your sister. You know she isn't as thin as you," Marie warns, and Avery shakes her head irritably.

She continues typing on her laptop while her mother consoles her sister.

"She's always been so mean to me, why can't she be as nice to me as I am to her?" Louisa blubbers and Marie sighs, patting her middle child on her shoulder.

"She's so wild and crazy," she adds, letting the crocodile tears run down her cheeks.

"Get out," Avery shrugs, looking up from her laptop and pushing her glasses back up her nose.

"What?" Louisa asks, looking slightly angry at the dismissal.

"Avery, be nice," Marie scolds, and Avery turns to stare at her mother briefly before her eyes return to her sister.

"I am acting Alpha, and I have a lot more to do than deal with a hormonal she-wolf who can't fight her own battles," Avery calmly responds, "So either shut up and sit down, or get the fuck out of my office."

Marie frowns, shaking her head and trying to usher Louisa out of the office.

"You don't have to be so rude about it, you could just say you were working," she snaps, and Avery stares at her blankly.

"Did you think I was playing Candy Crush or something when I was typing?" She asks coldly, putting her head back down and completely ignoring her stroppy sister.

Even her wolf is annoying, Sonya grumbles.

When the door to Avery's office closes, she sits back in her seat.

She really didn't need any more drama this week, or in this day alone.

She has the Roman situation to deal with - it was improper of her just to hang up - the York situation, and the Louisa issue. Where her monstrous sister went, her apologetic and irritated mate was sure to follow.

She fills out some files and responds to some emails for about an hour and a half, just to fulfil her admin quota for the day so that Kathleen doesn't murder her.