Part 65

The first thing York did when he could stand up and move was buy a plane ticket.

He didn't say where he was going, but he said he was definitely going.

Avery is baffled.

Her parents were furious, the elders were horrified, the Council was outraged, and Avery was screwed.

The news was unexpected.

Shock waves had gone through the pack, and Mitchell and Hayden had been dealing with tonnes of calls from the other Alphas.

York signed off on the documents passing the title to Avery, unofficially - her hearing needed to be completed before she could be declared as the proper, permanent Alpha.

Scott arrives two hours after York's shock announcement.

He finds Avery sitting in her kitchen, zoned out and eating her way through a pint of cookie dough ice cream.

His eyebrows slowly raise as he hones in on the bundled up figure in the corner.

"Are you okay?" He asks, kneeling down beside her curiously.

"York renounced his title," she splutters out, turning and staring at her friend, her eyes wide and wild.

Scott is speechless, and he raises his eyebrows again, his mouth slowly opening in utter surprise.

"Wow," he mutters, "I didn't expect that."

"Yeah," she nods rapidly, running a hand through her hair.

Half of it has fallen out of its braid, fluttering around her face and sticking up everywhere.

"Okay," he whispers, grabbing her shoulders, "we can get this sorted out."

Avery is doubtful of his optimistic words.

Silence fills the kitchen, and then Scott releases Avery.

"You get your title back for good now," he shrugs after a minute, sitting back against the cupboards and staring at the wall.

"Yeah, I guess," she whispers.

"You're a good Alpha," he shrugs, taking the ice cream from her and eating some of it himself.

"Technically we just kissed," he says through a mouth full of cookie dough.

She shoots him a disgusted glare, and he shrugs, shovelling more into his mouth.

"In your dreams, pig," she grunts, standing up and pouring herself a glass of water.

"What are you going to do?" He asks, putting the ice cream down and pulling out his phone to check in with his Beta.

"I don't know. I might have a little cry first," she admits, shrugging her shoulders and sitting on the counter.

"Crying is always a good idea," he agrees, standing up slowly and cracking his back as he moves.

"I knew you'd agree with me, how are your tear ducts feeling?" She cheers, popping down off the counter

"Empty, but I have plenty to cry about," he snorts, dragging her into the living room.

"What sad movie are we watching today?" She asks, getting settled under her mountain of blankets.

"Not the Notebook, I watched that on the plane ride," he sighs, and she frowns.

"That's the best one though," she grumbles, slumping under her blankets.

"Titanic?" He suggests, and she shakes her head.

"Rookie choice. Not sad enough. I want my heart to be ripped out and stomped on," she announces, and then her eyes light up.