Part 75

The car ride to Zephyr's is mostly quiet.

Avery's day has been turned upside down, and she has a lot of paperwork to deal with before they even get to Moonstone Mountain.

Her heart aches for Mitchell, but a selfish part of her can't believe Kathleen revealed herself on one of the only days Avery isn't on packlands.

"He'll be okay, Ave, don't worry," Roman mutters, glancing up from his own laptop to take a look at Avery.

Her face is screwed up in a mixture of stress and disgust, and he gets out of his seat.

"Do you want to talk right now, or do you want some silence?" He asks softly, and Avery sighs.

"I want a hug," she mutters, and he engulfs her in his arms, patting her back lightly.

"Is there anything that I can do?" He asks, and she shrugs.

"I don't think so. Filling in these approval forms is literally killing me," she mumbles, pushing her hair back.

"Okay, then I'll do it," he suggests, gently prying the forms and the necessary file away from her.

"I need to do it, I'm the Alpha," she sighs, putting her hand out.

"Nobody will ever know. You rest your eyes for a few minutes, I don't want you to be upset when we get to Zephyr's," he whispers, kissing her temple before he returns to his seat.

She stares at him unsurely, biting her lip nervously.

"Are you sure? I know you have your own work to do," she reminds him, furrowing her brows.

"My work isn't necessary to do today. I took the full day off to spend with you. The fact I'm getting the business I need to do with Zephyr out of the way today is a bonus," he promises, "now put your head back and relax."

His tone is stern, and she decides it's easier to listen to him.

He cares for us, Sonya whimpers.

He's being stupid if he thinks I won't be upset when we get to Zephyrs, she grumbles, and Sonya immediately scolds her.

He wants to take some of the weight off your shoulders, and this is how he knows how to. Let him in, she growls, and Avery is slightly taken aback by her wolf.

Sonya rarely argues against her, but she seems set on this.

Avery uneasily decides to listen, scratching at her neck anxiously.

She never feels like something is done right unless she does it herself, which is something she's working on.

Well, this is the perfect test case, Sonya snorts, irked by her human's need to do everything herself.

Avery lets her eyes close slowly, getting comfortable in her seat as she shoots nervous glances in Roman's direction.

He cracks his neck, and she cringes at the sound, shaking her head like a dog with water in its ears does.

Her phone rings and she sighs, answering it after reading the name.

"Hey Zeph, we're on the way," she mutters, and her friend laughs on the other end.

"I'm assuming you're driving, because you wouldn't have answered if you were running," he reasons, and Avery rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, a lot of shit happened this morning. We'll fill you in when we get there," she quickly explains, and she can hear her friend laugh to himself.

"Roman is with you?" He asks teasingly, and Avery releases an irritated grunt.

"Yes, he is, would you like to say hello?" She questions sarcastically, and Zephyr agrees excitedly.