Part 73

The aftermath of the trial had led to a lot of chaos for the Council to deal with.

York had quickly left the newly-named Wilcott pack to go travelling, and most of the pack supported him on his decision - a lot of people suspected it was his last chance to find a mate in his last four months before turning twenty-two.

Avery thought he was lucky - he had escaped just before the shit hit the fan.

Her pack was peaceful, but everywhere outside her land seemed to have gone up in flames.

Zephyr's pack experienced another revolt, one so bad that Avery had to send in some of her pack warriors to help them regain control and democracy.

Scott's pack had another wave of vampire attacks, and he had lost around thirty pack members to the fanged rats.

Lexus Steele had been removed from power and almost killed. Avery had granted her asylum in her pack, as the woman had looked out for her a number of times in the past, and because she didn't think the woman had anyone else to turn to - her mate was dead and it was her son who almost murdered her.

Alpha Katya was almost assassinated on a diplomatic trip to Europe. Once that news broke, outrage had spread across the continent, the attempt on her life believed to be by the Council in a protest to her looser mating laws.

Roman's pack had been relatively stable, but his mother Amelia had been killed.

In their daily phone calls, Roman had told Avery he wasn't too upset over it. Apparently, since the death of his father, she had just been going deeper into a spiral of depression and insanity, so she probably would have killed herself anyway if she hadn't been shot.

Louisa had her baby, and she was born healthy, being named Bronwyn after an author Louisa really liked.

Avery had been named godmother, and one of Xavier's friends was godfather.

All in all, Sonya was stressed to the tips of her ears.

What else do we have to deal with today? I don't want to see Kathleen today, Sonya hisses, and Avery sighs.

We can't make her tell him, Avery warns her wolf again, her voice tired and weary.

Sonya sniffs and shuts their link off, and Avery closes her eyes, resting her head on her office desk and exhaling slowly.

Her phone rings and she answers it on the third ring, not checking the caller identification in her tired haze.

"Hello, Alpha Avery Wilcott speaking, how can I help you?" She sighs, pushing herself upright and leaning back in her chair as she rubs her temple with her free hand.

She can feel a headache coming on, and she grimaces at the realisation.

She has no time that she can take off; every day, there are new rogue attacks, and everything seems to be getting worse.

"Hey babe," Roman chirps, his tone full of excitement, "I have tomorrow off, and I'm going to fly in to see you."

Avery raises her eyebrows, a small smile creeping onto her lips.

"Are you sure? A four-hour flight twice in one day is a lot," she warns him, and he groans dramatically on the end of the line, "plus, I have a lot of work to do."

"I'll stay tomorrow night and fly back early in the morning, it'll be fine," he laughs, and she can picture him running a hand through his hair as he gets comfortable and grins at the ceiling in his office, "didn't you have to visit Zephyr tomorrow anyway?"