Part 46

Avery feels unstoppable.

Her hair is all one colour again, she has the brightest red lipstick she owns on, and her brows are cooperating.

With this all in perfect condition, she sets off to the bunker, holding all of her files and her laptop in her bag, her phone in her hand and a smirk on her lips.

Her phone rings, and then stops, Sonya taking the message instead.

Are we ready for this?, Sonya asks nervously, and Avery snorts inwardly.

What are we not ready for?, Avery retorts, and Sonya doesn't respond.

Unlocking the door, and scanning her eyes, ear, and fingerprints, Avery is finally allowed into the bunker after typing in four codes and giving a blood sample.

She has everything locked down, and nobody goes in or out without her say so.

"Good morning, Freya," she beams, and the woman looks up at her from the table she's sitting at.

There's sweat on her brow, and she jumps up in an anxious flurry.

"What did they say?" She asks, hurrying up to Avery and looking up at her.

Avery pauses and then smiles.

"He's being charged with your rape, darling, and not only that, he's financially liable for Sam and you, as he caused you to miss out on college," Avery smirks, and Freya gasps, sinking into the couch cushions.

Freya begins to sob, and Avery frowns, quickly dropping her stuff and putting her arm around the woman.

"Is this not a good thing?" She whispers, rubbing her back soothingly.

"It's so, so good," Freya whimpers, her body heaving with her cries, "I just never thought it would happen."

"Well, the jury saw your brands, and they somehow managed to come to the conclusion that you maybe didn't want them, or to be raped," Avery smiles, and Freya sinks against her in relief.

"So he's going to be jailed?" She asks, looking up at her Alpha.

"Even better, he'll be jailed here," she nods, "so we can control exactly what happens to him and where he's put, since the crime happened here."

Freya gnaws at her lip, forcing herself to breathe normally.

"Thank you so much, Alpha," she whispers, "I don't know how I'll ever repay you."

Avery shakes her head, patting her shoulder.

"Repay me by helping me organise a crises centre. We can model it off what you would have wanted when you were attacked," Avery negotiates, and Freya's jaw drops.

"I asked around, and I know you organise everything for the library, from events to new releases. You're definitely capable of helping run this," Avery whispers, squeezing the woman's hand.

"I'd love to," she admits truthfully, "but what about Sam?"

"You can do it part-time, and work it around when he's in school. You're going to be paid a very comfortable amount that I negotiated for you from Preston's expansive bank accounts," Avery nods, handing her a file with that information in it.

Freya skims over it, her eyes landing on the monthly figure and her jaw dropping.

"Oh my Goddess," she whimpers, and Avery shrugs.

"It's only for thirty years, but it's in a trust for you and Sam, and his actual mate or family cannot touch this money," Avery nods, and Freya gasps.