Part 20

"Whereabouts did they get stuck?" Avery asks, pulling the map out of her bag.

Roman stabs at a point on it which is a reasonable distance away from them, and she sighs.

"It'll be faster to go in wolf form, won't it?" She asks softly, glancing at the two girls behind her who are sitting silently and watching the two speak.

"Much faster," he responds quietly, "we need to get going. The others couldn't get him out."

With an agitated sigh, Avery walks behind a tree and shifts into her black wolf after stripping off quickly.

She emerges and hears Roman telling the two girls to wait there for them before he takes off behind a tree and appears seconds later as his bright white wolf.

"How are we doing this?" Roman barks and Avery rolls her brow.

"Quickly," she responds, picking up her clothes bag in her mouth, and taking off in the direction of where the teenager is stuck.

The two run in relative silence, both speedy and agile.

Sonya is silent, and she isn't trying to attack Roman's wolf, which is unusual for her - she's normally quite aggressive and will attack if provoked.

Roman keeps running closer to her and guiding her away from the edges of the swamp, which she finds weird. It is his territory, though, so it makes sense that he'd know exactly where to avoid, but it's still strange.

Every time he does it, he presses his entire side against hers, forcing her away from some corners.

Soon enough, they spot a medium-sized group of teenagers all standing around the edge of the swamp, which looks a bit like a disgusting lake in that area.

Bounding to behind separate trees, the two shift and change quickly, Avery emerging a second later than Roman.

"Where's my hoodie?" He asks in a low voice as they walk towards the teenagers, and she gives him a confused look.

"I could only carry so much," she shrugs, walking to the edge of the swamp.

She peers over the edge, and Roman quickly wraps an arm around her waist and yanks her back about three feet.

"It's very unstable here. If you get too close, you could fall in," he mutters, releasing her as the teenagers eye them curiously.

"Who's in there?" Roman asks coldly, looking around at the group surrounding them.

"Henry," one girl whimpers, tears staining her cheeks as she's supported by two of her friends.

"Mate?" Avery asks quickly, and the girl nods, dissolving into more tears.

"How long has he been stuck?" Roman asks one of the males near him and the guy shrugs.

"Maybe ten minutes? We tried to get him out, but he seemed to get more stuck," he quickly reports, looking distressed.

Avery spots the boy about ten feet out, his form shifting between being human and being a wolf.

"Stop switching," Avery roars to him, eyeing the surface of the swamp carefully.

"I think I can get out there," she announces, and Roman unleashes a growl, shaking his head.

"Trust me, you can't," he snarls, looking around.

"Did anybody link the rescue team?" Roman asks the group, and one girl nods, "they said they'd be here soon."

Almost as soon as she says it, a group of men hurry up to them, holding a round of rope and bags of equipment.