Part 49

They had just reached Avery's bedroom in her parent's house when they could hear the front door opening.

"Thank the Goddess you're quick," she mutters, and he looks at her, feigning hurt until she realises the possible double meaning of her words.

"Oh shit, we left the clothes downstairs," she whispers, and Roman tries to hide his smirk.

"It isn't funny, this is my parent's house," Avery hisses, flinging a pillow from her bed at him.

"Well, they'll be able to smell it anyway," Roman shrugs, "so just relax."

Avery cringes a little, sniffing the air around them.

Richard is soooo gonna know, Sonya chortles, and she grimaces a little.

"I don't know why I let that happen," she mutters as she walks into the bathroom, turning the hot water on.

He comes up behind her and rests his hand on her hip, his erection pressing into her spine.

"Get that thing away from me before I chop it off," she commands primly, and he steps back with a chuckle.

"That isn't what you said ten minutes ago," he snickers, and she glares at him as she steps into the shower.

"I wasn't thinking ten minutes ago," she responds, and Roman feels a little hurt by her words.

"At least we won't have a kid," he suddenly comments, and Avery raises a brow as she turns to face him.

"What do you mean by that?" She asks, "Because I know you didn't use a condom."

"Well, everyone knows that Unfortunates have a really hard time conceiving, and that's when they're mated. We stand no chance," he chuckles, shaking his head.

Avery rolls her eyes, and clips up her hair, not wanting to get it wet.

Roman notices her uncharacteristic silence and stands up from where he's sitting on the edge of the clawfoot tub and leans against the shower door.

"It wouldn't be bad if we had a kid, though," he sighs, trying to make things better.

"I don't have time for one, and I highly doubt you do either," Avery rolls her eyes, "trust me, a kid is the last thing on my mind right now."

"Then what is on your mind? You need to communicate with me," he stresses, turning her back around to face him gently.

"I'm thinking how absolutely insane it is that we just had sex in my home office," she grits out, "I'm thinking that you're crazy for making up a lie to get my attention, and that you're absolutely insane for coming here after I hung up that phone."

"I came because I wanted to see you. We don't talk, and that's our main problem. If we tried communicating more, I think we could have a real shot at making this work," he reasons.

Sonya is on his side, and it takes a lot of effort for Avery not to cuss out her wolf.

"'This'? Is there a 'this' now?" She asks coldly, and he rolls his eyes.

"Don't do this; you're trying to shut me out. I actually want to have a conversation, and I'm not letting you leave this room until you start talking," he sighs, his eyes wide and pleading.

She makes eye contact with him and feels herself getting sucked in as she gets closer to him, wiping an eyelash off his cheek gently.

"You always get so distant or upset when I try to actually talk to you. I've known you two months, but I barely know anything about you," he continues.